comscore Fan ignites, burns Salt Lake apartment, causing $40K damage | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
911 Report | Hawaii News | Top News

Fan ignites, burns Salt Lake apartment, causing $40K damage

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

A pedestal fan caught fire in a Salt Lake apartment on Saturday, causing $40,000 in fire damage.

At 9 a.m., six Honolulu Fire Department units and 22 personnel arrived at 3019 Ala Ilima Street in response to a building fire on the third floor of a five-story apartment building, where light smoke had previously been seen.

There were no reported injures in the accidental fire, and the occupant of the unit was not home at the time. A neighbor controlled the fire with a hose before fire department personnel arrived and extinguished it just before 9:30 a.m.

Of the estimated $40,000 in damages, $30,000 was for structural damage and $10,000 was for the apartment’s contents. The residence had a non-functional fire alarm and no fire sprinklers.

Comments (5)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up