comscore Kaneohe townhouse fire caused $366K in damage, firefighters say | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Every act of aloha counts. Click here to DONATE to the MAUI RELIEF Fund.
Hawaii News | Top News

Kaneohe townhouse fire caused $366K in damage, firefighters say

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

Honolulu firefighters determined a fire that damaged a townhouse over the weekend in Kaneohe was accidentally started and caused $366,000 in damage.

Honolulu Fire Department Capt. Scot Seguirant said Monday that the Saturday fire at 47-181 Hui Akepa Place was started by a torch for removing unwanted vegetation. He said the operator of the torch had set it down and later smelled smoke. Firefighters found the torch had ignited nearby combustibles and ruled the cause of the blaze as accidental.

Two men tried to extinguish the fire, but could not get behind a wall where the fire was burning and they called 911. Firefighters were dispatched at 12:04 p.m. and found smoke emanating from the second floor of the two-story townhouse.

Firefighters brought the blaze under control by 12:40 p.m. and extinguished it at 1:12 p.m.

No one was injured in the incident. The Red Cross said it was assisting displaced residents.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up