comscore Lit candle caused fire in Waimanalo dwelling, fire investigators say | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
911 Report | Top News

Lit candle caused fire in Waimanalo dwelling, fire investigators say

An unattended lit candle caused the Feb. 7 fire in a 20-foot container in Waimanalo, according to a Honolulu Fire Department spokesman.

The fire in the container, which was converted into a living area, at 41-1140 Waikupanaha Road was determined to be accidental, said Capt. Jeffrey Roache.

Roache said an occupant was awakened by the heat radiating from the fire at about 3:10 p.m. and safely escaped.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in an hour.

The fire damaged clothing, books and other items. Damage was estimated at $78,000 to the structure and its contents.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up