The Hawaii National Guard announced today its first coronavirus-related death.
A 52-year-old airman, who tested positive earlier in the week and died Sunday, was a part-time reservist assigned to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.
“Sadly, the Hawaii National Guard lost a member of our ohana and our heartfelt condolences and thoughts of aloha are with the family and friends during this very difficult time,” Maj. Gen. Kenneth S. Hara, adjutant general for Hawaii, said in a news release today. “This personal loss reminds us that Hawaii needs everyone to comply with safe practices to prevent further spread of this deadly disease.”
The Hawaii National Guard said since the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak, it has adopted mitigation measures including virtual training activities to reduce the spread of COVID-19.