comscore Hawaii island police investigate fatal shooting of suspect in Hilo | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Hawaii island police investigate fatal shooting of suspect in Hilo

Hawaii island police fatally shot a 31-year-old man armed with two knives after he allegedly assaulted one of the officers who were responding to a break-in at a home in Hilo Friday.

The incident comes days after police fatally shot a 34-year-old man after he allegedly opened fire on patrol officers responding to a domestic violence call.

Hilo patrol officers responded to a residential alarm at the 1800 block of Kilauea Avenue at about 11:20 a.m. As officers entered the home, a man armed with two knives emerged from one of the bedrooms and allegedly attacked one of the officers, cutting the officer in the arm.

Police said two other officers discharged their firearms at the suspect.

Police temporarily closed a section of Kilauea Avenue to investigate and reopened the road sometime before 3:40 p.m. today.

The injured officer was treated and released from Hilo Medical Center.

This is the second time an armed suspect attacked police in Hilo this week.

Officers responded to a domestic violence call at a home on Mokuhonua Lane shortly after 7 p.m. Sunday. Police said the younger brother of 34-year-old Ryan Yukiharu Santos reported Santos was allegedly assaulting their mother.

Officers walked up to the front door when Santos emerged from the kitchen with a rifle and pointed it at the officers, according to Hawaii Police Chief Paul Ferreira in a virtual news conference Monday.

Santos began firing at officers, yelling and swearing as officers retreated, Ferreira said. Santos walked out of the home and onto a balcony where he continued to fire shots at officers.

Police returned fire. After being shot, Santos retreated back into the house where he died. A pathologist determined Santos died of a single gunshot wound to the left shoulder area.

During the incident, Santos’ 91-year-old grandfather, Ichiro Nakamura, went into cardiac arrest. Medics took him to Hilo Medical Center where he died.

A pathologist determined Nakamura died from an acute heart attack that he suffered during the incident.


Honolulu Star-Advertiser reporter Peter Boylan contributed to this report.

Comments (13)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up