Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Sunday, May 19, 2024 80° Today's Paper


Top News

10 more people charged in $250M federal food program fraud

SHARI L. GROSS/STAR TRIBUNE VIA AP / 2022
                                The offices of Feeding Our Future are shown in St. Anthony, Minn., a week after an FBI raid. Ten more people have been charged in connection with a scheme to steal more than $250 million from a federal program designed to provide meals to low-income children in Minnesota, federal prosecutors said bringing the total charged to 60. The indictments allege that the Minnesota nonprofit was at the center of the plot.
1/2
Swipe or click to see more

SHARI L. GROSS/STAR TRIBUNE VIA AP / 2022

The offices of Feeding Our Future are shown in St. Anthony, Minn., a week after an FBI raid. Ten more people have been charged in connection with a scheme to steal more than $250 million from a federal program designed to provide meals to low-income children in Minnesota, federal prosecutors said bringing the total charged to 60. The indictments allege that the Minnesota nonprofit was at the center of the plot.

SHARI L. GROSS/STAR TRIBUNE VIA AP / 2022
                                Aimee Bock, the executive director of the nonprofit Feeding Our Future, speaks in St. Anthony, Minn. Ten more people have been charged in connection with a scheme to steal more than $250 million from a federal program designed to provide meals to low-income children in Minnesota, federal prosecutors said. A total of 60 people have now been charged, including Bock.
2/2
Swipe or click to see more

SHARI L. GROSS/STAR TRIBUNE VIA AP / 2022

Aimee Bock, the executive director of the nonprofit Feeding Our Future, speaks in St. Anthony, Minn. Ten more people have been charged in connection with a scheme to steal more than $250 million from a federal program designed to provide meals to low-income children in Minnesota, federal prosecutors said. A total of 60 people have now been charged, including Bock.

SHARI L. GROSS/STAR TRIBUNE VIA AP / 2022
                                The offices of Feeding Our Future are shown in St. Anthony, Minn., a week after an FBI raid. Ten more people have been charged in connection with a scheme to steal more than $250 million from a federal program designed to provide meals to low-income children in Minnesota, federal prosecutors said bringing the total charged to 60. The indictments allege that the Minnesota nonprofit was at the center of the plot.
SHARI L. GROSS/STAR TRIBUNE VIA AP / 2022
                                Aimee Bock, the executive director of the nonprofit Feeding Our Future, speaks in St. Anthony, Minn. Ten more people have been charged in connection with a scheme to steal more than $250 million from a federal program designed to provide meals to low-income children in Minnesota, federal prosecutors said. A total of 60 people have now been charged, including Bock.

MINNEAPOLIS >> Ten more people have been charged in connection with a scheme to steal more than $250 million from a federal program designed to provide meals to low-income children in Minnesota, federal prosecutors said Monday.

A total of 60 people have now been charged in the conspiracy, in which authorities say a group of people took advantage of rules that were relaxed during the COVID-19 pandemic and falsely claimed they were providing food to children. Minnesota U.S. Attorney Andy Luger said in September that the conspiracy was the largest pandemic-related fraud scheme to date.

At a news conference today, Luger said six people have pleaded guilty so far, and more information is coming about who organized the scheme.

“Our investigation continues, and we expect more charges in the future,” Luger said.

At the center of the plot, the indictments allege, was a Minnesota nonprofit called Feeding Our Future.

Prosecutors said just a fraction of the money went toward feeding kids, with the rest laundered through shell companies and spent on property, luxury cars and travel.

The money came from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, with oversight from state governments. In Minnesota, the funds were administered by the state Department of Education, with meals historically provided to kids through schools and day care centers. Sites that served the food were sponsored by authorized public or nonprofit groups.

Some standard program requirements were relaxed during the COVID-19 pandemic; for-profit restaurants were allowed to participate, and food was allowed to be distributed outside educational programs.

Luger said in September that a small group of people came up with the plan to exploit the relaxed rules and steal tens of millions of dollars by falsely claiming they were providing food to children. Others soon joined, and the scheme grew, Luger said.

Today, Luger said the defendants allegedly operated fraudulent food sites all around the state, including Pelican Rapids, Faribault, Burnsville, Minnetonka, Bloomington, Minneapolis and St. Paul.

He highlighted an indictment against a woman who claimed to serve 2,560 meals a day to children in Pelican Rapids, a town with a total population of only 2,500 people. The woman obtained about $3.7 million from the fraudulent sites she operated, Luger said.

Luger added that federal prosecutors in September had seized about $50 million worth of property fraudulently obtained by the defendants. “That number is over $66.6 million now — and climbing,” he said.

Republican lawmakers have said Gov. Tim Walz and Attorney General Keith Ellison, both Democrats, missed opportunities to use their investigative powers to stop the fraud earlier.

The governor replied that the federal government relaxed its rules when it sent COVID-19 aid to the states — “as they should have” — and that his administration alerted the FBI when it discovered the fraud.

“Now it’s an ongoing investigation. I guess we’ll get more clarity,” Walz said in October, before he and Ellison won re-election the following month.

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines. Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.