Quantcast
  

Wednesday, April 23, 2014         

CHRISTOPHER DEEDY TRIAL


 Print   Email   Comment | View 453 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Elderts bullied, bugged customer, guard says

The security officer testifies that the Kailua man and his friend were “talking loudly” before the fatal fight

By Ken Kobayashi

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 11:15 a.m. HST, Feb 12, 2014


A McDonald’s security guard testified Thursday that Kollin Elderts bullied and irritated a customer before the confrontation that escalated to State Department special agent Christopher Deedy fatally shooting Elderts at the Waikiki fast-food restaurant.

Rosalinda Soriano told the Circuit Court jury that she didn’t hear the words, but said Elderts was bothering customer Michel Perrine at the McDonald’s counter.

After Deedy went to Elderts, who was sitting at a table, Soriano said she sensed there would be trouble.

She said she told Elderts, his friend Shane Medeiros and Deedy, “if you make trouble, please leave the area.”

Moments later the confrontation became physical and led to Deedy shooting Elderts in the chest.

Deedy, 29, who was here for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation conference, is charged with murdering Elderts, 23, of Kailua, at about 2:45 a.m. Nov. 5, 2011, at the McDonald’s Kuhio Avenue restaurant.

The agent is accused of drunkenly threatening Elderts, kicking him and shooting the unarmed man without justification.

Deedy’s defense is that he was acting as a law enforcement officer in trying to defuse a potentially dangerous situation that started with Elderts harassing Perrine.

Elderts became enraged, and Deedy shot him in self-defense, Deedy’s lawyers contend.

Testifying in the 16th day of trial as a defense witness, Soriano, 55, said her attention was drawn to Elderts when he first got to the counter because he was talking loudly.

She said when Perrine went to the counter, Elderts joked, then annoyed and bullied Perrine.

The security guard said Perrine gave Elderts a look as if saying, “Leave me alone; don’t bother me.”

Perrine left the counter and sat down, but Elderts continued to bother him with an “irritating smile,” 

Soriano said.

She said she walked to where Elderts and his friend Shane Medeiros were acting in an unfriendly, “irritating” manner and “talking loudly” to Deedy.

Soriano said the agent was talking in a “soft voice.”

“I have a feeling there is something wrong,” she said in court, recalling her sense at the time.

Perrine testified earlier in the trial that he drank three tequila shots and a pitcher of beer and doesn’t remember much of the exchange other than Elderts mentioning the word “haole.”

A McDonald’s cashier testified Perrine at one point asked Elderts if he was trying to be a “racist” because Perrine was “white.”

Earlier Thursday defense expert Jonathan Arden, a forensic pathologist from Virginia, testified that Elderts’ fatal wound indicated he was shot as he and Deedy were struggling with each other on the floor.

Arden testified that 

Elderts’ chest wound and the position of the gun were “consistent” with the fatal shot being fired at that time.

Arden’s testimony supports the defense version that Deedy’s third and final shot killed Elderts, who was on top of the agent and punching him.

Police found two bullet holes in the restaurant walls. The third bullet was recovered from Elderts’ body.

During the prosecution’s case, retired police Detective Theodore Coons testified the second shot killed Elderts before he and Deedy ended up on the floor.

But Arden said the wound and positioning of the gun was inconsistent with the fatal shot being fired at that time.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 453 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(453)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
MalamaKaAina wrote:
"After Deedy went to Elderts, who was sitting at a table, Soriano said she sensed there would be trouble."
on August 2,2013 | 02:19AM
palani wrote:
And if the so-called security guard had done her job a little better during Elderts previous "bullying" of customer Perrine, the entire tragedy might have been avoided.
on August 2,2013 | 04:58AM
roxeee wrote:
I think everyone was ignoring her.
on August 2,2013 | 05:31AM
palani wrote:
Try ignoring a real cop ordering you to desist.
on August 2,2013 | 06:13AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
According to the security guard's sworn testimony, at the time Deedy felt it was necessary to involve himself, Elderts was looking at Perrine with "an irritating smile."
on August 2,2013 | 06:33AM
control wrote:
wow, that was scary, someone threatening another with an irritating smile, boy, call out the cops on that!. arrest him for having an irritating smile.
on August 2,2013 | 07:33AM
wiliki wrote:
You heard of stink eye? That's stink smile.....
on August 2,2013 | 10:27AM
Jonas wrote:
yeah, he should've shot him...oh, wait
on August 2,2013 | 11:15AM
allie wrote:
or a real security guard with training, brawn and the right look.
on August 2,2013 | 08:30AM
serious wrote:
This is as good a reason as any why women should not be in combat. If Bubba had been on duty they would have paid attention.
on August 2,2013 | 09:51AM
Mypualani wrote:
Point well taken serious.
on August 2,2013 | 10:12AM
wiliki wrote:
Actually, a woman in this case might have made sense. Eldert and Medeiros wouldn't have wanted to beat her up.
on August 2,2013 | 10:31AM
allie wrote:
hey!
on August 2,2013 | 01:44PM
wiliki wrote:
Not necessary... if she needs the brawn, then maybe some of the big co-workers in the Kitchen can grab a piece of him and carry him out?
on August 2,2013 | 10:29AM
hanalei395 wrote:
allie might show up with her "security guards should be Tongans".
on August 2,2013 | 07:15AM
allie wrote:
No, they need to be trained and hefty to deal with miscreants. Our Tongan guard is very effective and yes, they are overrepresented in the security guard world I am told.
on August 2,2013 | 08:31AM
wiliki wrote:
Problem is that you don't want the staff intimidating customers. In Waikiki you need as many cash paying customers as possible.
on August 2,2013 | 10:32AM
allie wrote:
not the way it works at all
on August 2,2013 | 01:45PM
pcman wrote:
IRT wiliki on intimidating customers. If the security guard is not here to intimidate customers then what was her role? I suspect the US State Dept and maybe McDonalds are both going to be sued for Elderts' death, as well as Deedy, in the civil suit.
on August 3,2013 | 03:15PM
aomohoa wrote:
What kind of a pizza joint do you work at where to need a :Tongan guard?: Sounds like a low class bar. Maybe you work a strip club that happens to serve pizza. LOL
on August 2,2013 | 08:58PM
Mypualani wrote:
Exactly, then all would be well.
on August 2,2013 | 08:41AM
control wrote:
nope, she did what she was paid to do, telling elderts and medeiros to leave. what else do you expect a 5' 4" (or shorter) person with no experience in handling security to do? if she got involved she could have been injured. she isn't a real security guard, just someone paid by mcd's with a shirt that says security on.
on August 2,2013 | 07:56AM
hanalei395 wrote:
You "forgot" to mention that she told Deedy to leave too. And Jessica West, the girlfriend of Deedy's friend, Adam Gutowski, testified that she pleaded to Deedy to leave with her and Gutowski. Deedy refused and got more violent.
on August 2,2013 | 08:14AM
control wrote:
i didn't forget anything, I commented on palani's post that the guard could have actually stopped this incident.
on August 2,2013 | 08:20AM
Mypualani wrote:
Why didn't she call the police if she sensed the irritating smile, and the disrespectful wave to her when they first came in. I watched her on the news stream and that right there says it all. Her job is to watch observe and report, why didn't she call the police?
on August 2,2013 | 08:44AM
control wrote:
probably inexperience and no proper training.
on August 2,2013 | 12:26PM
false wrote:
Nope.
on August 2,2013 | 12:17PM
wiliki wrote:
She may not have been aware that Deedy was a cop. If so, then she might have changed her request regarding Deedy.
on August 2,2013 | 10:35AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
wiliki wrote: "She may not have been aware that Deedy was a cop. If so, then she might have changed her request regarding Deedy."

See. That might have been a good time to identify himself.


on August 2,2013 | 02:17PM
droid wrote:
Great point! If Deedy really thought to flash his badge, he would have done it to the security guard. The fact that he was too wasted to do it shows just how focused his tunnel-vision was bent on starting a fight with Elderts.
on August 3,2013 | 03:08AM
Mypualani wrote:
Goodpoint wiliki
on August 8,2013 | 11:13PM
allie wrote:
I agree and have said that several times but again was blasted for saying it. :(
on August 2,2013 | 08:30AM
sailfish1 wrote:
What do think the security guard should have done "better"?
on August 2,2013 | 08:31AM
saveparadise wrote:
Exactly sailfish, lot of Monday morning QB's here.
on August 2,2013 | 09:04AM
Mypualani wrote:
typo no my part Not to intervene when violence/ criminal acts break out.
on August 2,2013 | 10:17AM
false wrote:
Exactly.
on August 2,2013 | 12:17PM
Mypualani wrote:
Better? not better she was doing her job, to observe, report and to call the police if a situation comes up, they are to intervene if fights or criminal acts happen, Job is to observe, report and call police, oh and she did her job when she said to three of them to Take it outside"
on August 2,2013 | 10:16AM
droid wrote:
Call 9-11? Simple, yeah?
on August 3,2013 | 03:09AM
allie wrote:
agree...If my Tongan security had been siganled there was trouble the silly Medeiros who was egging on Elderts (and helped cause his death by the way) Elderts and deedy would have all sat down and calmed down. There was no meaningful security. I would sue if I were the Elderts. This is manslaughter. Yes, Elderts was a bully being egged on by a phony friend who just wanted to be entertained. But he did not deserve death.
on August 2,2013 | 04:30PM
slc3755 wrote:
And "Doing her job" included what. Scuffling with a couple of drunk 20 something men.?
on August 2,2013 | 07:54PM
pcman wrote:
I am still waiting for a witness to indicate there was a dire need for Deedy to shoot Elderts. You can't go and push someone around because of his looks or what he says, and then when you think you are losing the pushing and shoving, shoot the guy. There's got to be some beef. Where's the beef?
on August 2,2013 | 09:06AM
PokeStop wrote:
At McDonald's!
on August 2,2013 | 09:38AM
Mypualani wrote:
Not from what I been reading.
on August 2,2013 | 10:18AM
wiliki wrote:
His third shot was a shot to kill because Eldert went for his gun. The other two shots were to show that he had a real gun and would use it.
on August 2,2013 | 10:37AM
false wrote:
Actually you won't find that witness. The only person is Deedy since he and only he can attest to the fact whether he believed he acted in self defense. It is relative to him and to the jury to find whether he act "reasonable"?
on August 2,2013 | 12:20PM
HLOEWEN wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on August 2,2013 | 02:20AM
bumba wrote:
Get real, drama queen.
on August 2,2013 | 03:44AM
palani wrote:
I think HLOEWEN meant to say riots in Oakland and LA, where any excuse is good enough reason to loot and burn.
on August 2,2013 | 05:00AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
I'm not going to riot if the low life Elderts does not get justice.
on August 2,2013 | 06:28AM
hanalei395 wrote:
And you will, if he does.
on August 2,2013 | 06:59AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
No. This case is about 2 losers; Elderts and Deedy. It's about bravado, booze and drugs, and playing macho man. This could absolutely have been avoided. Won't be celebrating anything. Are you?
on August 2,2013 | 07:44AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Not me. But the boys in OCCC and Halawa will be celebrating. They know Deedy is on the way to either place.
on August 2,2013 | 08:03AM
saveparadise wrote:
I agree with you Public, two losers in this case but one had good intentions and the other was looking for trouble of which he got. Karma..........
on August 2,2013 | 09:07AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Karma ...in either OCCC or Halawa.
on August 2,2013 | 09:13AM
GorillaSmith wrote:
I wish that Publicbraddah were the judge in this case. He's one of the few posters who really get it.
on August 2,2013 | 09:50AM
false wrote:
Yup, can be avoided everyday. But some knuckle head got to be a tough guy with the Ainokea, NoAck up, What, etc attitude. Sheez.
on August 2,2013 | 12:23PM
Mei mei wrote:
Certainly not ~just tragic all around... very poor decisions here... one lost a life and another will lose his future...
on August 2,2013 | 12:28PM
control wrote:
publicbrah, you are totally correct. but the trial is about deedy and what he should get. Hate to say it but I hope that deedy gets some conviction (terroristic threatening?) for his actions, not murder since he didn't plan to go out to kill a local, he was trying to break up what he thought was the makings of a fight. the way he did it was wrong and someone got killed.
on August 2,2013 | 12:31PM
Jaybub wrote:
This.
on August 2,2013 | 05:08PM
Jonas wrote:
Maybe he already got justice?
on August 2,2013 | 11:19AM
false wrote:
Count me in.
on August 2,2013 | 12:21PM
Fred01 wrote:
Elderts already got justice!
on August 2,2013 | 01:13PM
LFR2 wrote:
You mean like the way those 2 unemployed auto workers got a slap on the wrist for murdering Vincent Chin in MI?
on August 2,2013 | 05:14AM
false wrote:
What's with the first witness, from MCD"s said the first shot got Elderts, 2nd witness said second shot got Elderts now this last authority says the 3 rd shot killed Elderts. Wouldn't the Witness on Site have the most credibility? There's a problem the fantasy the Defense is trying to make.
on August 2,2013 | 05:26AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Not really. Ten people can all witness the same thing and have ten different stories about what happened. Science and hard evidence trumps eye witness accounts.
on August 2,2013 | 05:49AM
hanalei395 wrote:
The defense trump card ...An out-of-state so-called "expert" for hire to the highest bidder, defense or prosecution, and his theory of "science and hard evidence".
on August 2,2013 | 06:01AM
lee1957 wrote:
And because he's not a crab in the bucket he is not to be believed, right?
on August 2,2013 | 06:13AM
hanalei395 wrote:
If he's a crab from Virginia, no.
on August 2,2013 | 06:53AM
Usagi336 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe if the prosecution had hired him, the findings would be different.
on August 2,2013 | 08:15AM
false wrote:
True, so where's their forensic expert? DId't think of the that one eh?
on August 2,2013 | 12:28PM
allie wrote:
that is standard in many trials.
on August 2,2013 | 08:32AM
false wrote:
WHAT???
on August 2,2013 | 12:28PM
Fred01 wrote:
If the expert were "local", then would "science and hard evidence" be more relevant to you?
on August 2,2013 | 01:15PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Ten people can all witness the same thing and have ten different stories about what happened. "

But ten experts can have TWENTY different opinions about what happened... depending on who is writing the check.


on August 2,2013 | 07:50AM
false wrote:
True, but where's the prosecution's expert? The detective? I don't think he can qualify himself as an expert.
on August 2,2013 | 12:30PM
allie wrote:
yup
on August 2,2013 | 01:46PM
false wrote:
True. Seems like prosecution didn't really talk to their witnesses nor go over the HPD reports with them. If prosecution loses case it may be on them.
on August 2,2013 | 12:26PM
lee1957 wrote:
The second bullet theory came from a police detective, not a witness.
on August 2,2013 | 06:12AM
hanalei395 wrote:
OK, it was the first bullet. And it's not a theory.
on August 2,2013 | 06:24AM
sailfish1 wrote:
They said it was a gaping chest wound. If the first shot did it, Elderts would have gone down at that point. Why would there have been a second and third shot?
on August 2,2013 | 08:40AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
No one said "it was a gaping chest wound"

It made a 9mm size hole on entry and there was no exit wound.

All that blood had to come out of a hole smaller than your little finger. That takes a while.

I'm not going to post the articles again, but the belief that one shot to the chest = immediate take down is a dangerous myth perpetuated by people who watch too much tv.


on August 2,2013 | 09:17AM
Mypualani wrote:
The Bullet hit the victims lung not his heart, so yeah...
on August 2,2013 | 10:28AM
sailfish1 wrote:
Kalaheo - That's what was said when they were talking about Deedy giving CPR to Elderts. I don't go around making stuff up. How do you know what the wound looked like? If you were shot in the chest at close range by a 9mm, I doubt you would be standing.
on August 2,2013 | 11:57AM
hapaguy wrote:
sailfish that is the same point that Kraised keeps trying to make "the first shot would have taken Elderts down" and it's wrong. There are many documented cases of people (store clerks, etc...) that have taken shots at point blank range and yet they were still able to fight of their assailant. Just Google it or better yet YouTube it and you will see.
on August 2,2013 | 12:44PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
sailfish1 wrote: "That's what was said when they were talking about Deedy giving CPR to Elderts. I don't go around making stuff up. How do you know what the wound looked like? If you were shot in the chest at close range by a 9mm, I doubt you would be standing."

Who ever told that Elderts had a gaping chest wound was mistaken. I understand that you don't make stuff up, but do you remember where you heard that?

I have seen bullet wounds. A 9mm bullet typically makes a 9mm sized hole. It's the exit wound that typical large. Elderts didn't have an exit wound. So all that blood had to come out of a hole smaller than your little finger. That takes a while. ANd we saw on the video how bloody Deedy was BEFORE he came back and started CPR.

And again, the it's a myth that a gunshot (or gunshots) to the chest consistently drops the victim.


on August 2,2013 | 02:24PM
soundofreason wrote:
Is there a grassy knoll involved? Because I think I've heard this story before.
on August 2,2013 | 07:06AM
hanalei395 wrote:
There were "glassy eyes" involved. (Deedy's eyes).
on August 2,2013 | 07:20AM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
@hanalei - Whatever you do, don't mention the pot, alcohol and cocaine found in Eldert's blood.
on August 2,2013 | 07:31AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
al_kiqaeda wrote:"Whatever you do, don't mention the pot, alcohol and cocaine found in Eldert's blood."

That always makes me wonder about how much alcohol and drugs were in Deedy's blood that night. It is truly regretful that he refused to cooperate with the investigate by refusing a blood test.


on August 2,2013 | 07:53AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Hmm, there might have been a second shooter but....................
on August 2,2013 | 07:46AM
Mypualani wrote:
Coons was going by the evidence of the video and eyewitness accounts. Maybe the defense has a few cashiers too. I want to see what the cross is on west, puniala's she testified that after Deedy showed his wallet Elderts got angry and puffed up, yeah right she left out some things too like making things worse by calling the victims names, her boyfriend lunged in and she jumped in, she couldn't follow the video because her memory is clear and fluid? but the video is jerky? another liar....just like her selective memory severely beaten boyfriend. and Medeiros isn't being completely truthful either he left out things too.
on August 2,2013 | 10:27AM
Mypualani wrote:
@lee the first Marine Byrd testified that he thought it was the second bullet that hit Elderts.
on August 2,2013 | 12:06PM
Mypualani wrote:
Welcome to Fantasy Island where you can shoot and kill an unarmed punk and think you are immune from prosecution.
on August 2,2013 | 08:47AM
mitt_grund wrote:
So, the hard "facts" are Deedy shot Elderts three times, first, second, and third. Real facts are Deedy struck first with a kick to Elderts' chest. Elderts struck back by slapping Deedy. In the ensuing tussle, Deedy did the incredibly brave thing of shooting Elderts, because Elderts was winning the hand-to-hand fight.

People say why didn't Elderts and Medeiros leave. Question should be why didn't Deedy leave. He had the gun and he said he would use it. Isn't that intent to kill? No threats to kill from Elderts, only words like f****** h****. Wow, those words were deadly threats! Get real. Deedy was drunk, and the HPD did its usual job of doing a sh***y job. They need to carry a cheatsheet to remind themselves of SOP.


on August 2,2013 | 10:41AM
control wrote:
deedy was trying to break up a potential fight, why would he leave. he thought he could help break up what he thought was a potential fight, instead it went wrongly. yes, deedy's actions weren't the actions of a properly trained person but his intention was to break up what he perceived to be the makings of a fight.
on August 2,2013 | 11:35AM
Mypualani wrote:
"Deedy was trying to break up a potential fight, why would he leave. he thought he could help break up what he thought was a potential fight, instead it went wrongly. yes, Deedy's actions weren't the actions of a properly trained person but his intention was to break up what he perceived to be the makings of a fight." Potential is not a fact in this case, as for his training, well you are probably right, I believe too that Deedy's intentions were right. But as they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and this man is living it right now. The defense is just not bringing it with their witnesses, somehow west can't remember words said even though she stated her memories are clear and fluid. She does not remember what words were said? she is no better than Medeiros and her Boyfriend.
on August 2,2013 | 12:16PM
control wrote:
do you expect many witnesses to be much better? since it happened so fast, it probably was hard for people to digest what happened. it will be up to the jury to decide but even then, there are many inconsistencies between the 2 sides that the jury might not have grounds for murder 2 or manslaughter IMHO.
on August 2,2013 | 12:58PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT mitt_grund, thanks for that simple and factual , well the law does say if you can retreat without using deadly force you should do that. Agent Deedy's defense does not rise to the level of self defense. plain and simple.
on August 2,2013 | 12:10PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT control: Thanks control point very well taken. you are right both sides got inconsistencies.
on August 2,2013 | 11:47PM
soundofreason wrote:
That would involve people having to get up (roll) off their couches. Don't see that happening.
on August 2,2013 | 07:05AM
control wrote:
great, DLOEWEN from MI trying to interject mainland violence in Hawaii. Luckily most people from Hawaii aren't the types that would cause riots due to a court verdict.
on August 2,2013 | 07:36AM
Mypualani wrote:
nah no riots here, sorry to disappoint you we don't do that here,
on August 2,2013 | 08:45AM
hanalei395 wrote:
If there was a case like the "Massie Case" happening today, there would be .................... No. It would be IMPOSSSIBLE for an outcome like what happened in the "Massie Case" happening today. ..... (I think).
on August 2,2013 | 09:32AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Besides, the governor who got the Massie Case killers to his office right after they found guilty, and after an hour, got them out of Hawai'i, to let them to get away with murder ....was a Republican.
on August 2,2013 | 09:56AM
Fred01 wrote:
And you are still a Racist!
on August 2,2013 | 01:16PM
allie wrote:
Massie Case has been much misunderstood.
on August 2,2013 | 01:47PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Riots in Hawaii for a mainland guy killing a guy like Elders? Nah, no way. You know why? Local style, we just kind of get angry, vent to our family and friends at the bar or over a meal, and that's it. Pau. Secondly, and many of us don't like to talk about this much less admit this, is that if you lived in Hawaii long enough you are bound to encounter the "make big body" local male, acting loud, and just making a jerk of himself, and during these encounters we have all thought "geez I should kick his behind" but of course we don't because either if we tried it would be our own behind that would be kicked, or we just shrug our shoulders and accept the fact that these type of people exist, but in the back of our mind we want to see these guys go down. From what we have heard of Elders and his buddy they were local guys making big body in Waikiki and they ran into someone with a gun. No one deserves to die like Elders did, but you know what, when the stars align this kind of thing happens and when a dude like Elders goes down like he did, we kind of think, "no surprise here, not going to be the last time, no need to riot".
on August 2,2013 | 12:05PM
inverse wrote:
Incensed Hawaii residents DO NOT RIOT and take it to the next level with police or law enforcement. If they do and get arrested or beat up, they might miss attending or teaching class at UH.
on August 2,2013 | 10:28AM
Mypualani wrote:
Or get fired from their jobs, lose everything they worked hard for.
on August 2,2013 | 12:18PM
Manoa_Fisherman wrote:
Why didn't Deedy inform the guard he was a law enforcement officer before he approached Elderts? The situation could have been defused if the security guard approached Elderts to tell him to behave and let them know that Deedy was an officer. Seem like the security guard failed to act in any responsible manner under the situation. Even if the guard says they are not to involve themselves in altercations, the approach and instructions by a security guard will often times settle an escalating situation. More importantly, the security guard did not state that she saw or heard Deedy identify himself as a law enforcement officer. Some how only Deedy's friend's girlfriend magically saw this, allegedly.
on August 2,2013 | 02:28AM
51butterflies wrote:
Manoa_ these are logical ideas. agreed
on August 2,2013 | 10:04PM
MKN wrote:
Hmmmmm first independent witness for the defense that corroborates what quite a few people have been saying all long and that is both Elderts and Medeiros were bullying Perrine. Of course, that's just one witness. Now if some of the other independent defense witnesses can attest to that, then maybe Deedy did actually have a legitimate reason to intervene. This case gets more interesting by the day.
on August 2,2013 | 02:45AM
false wrote:
If Deedy didn't intervene no one would have been killed or vulnerable to being shot by a stray bullet. Deedy was wrong. Words and bullying go on about us everyday and we don't pull a gun. We ignore it and move on. They were all Drunk. Only honest one was Perrine and he wasn't willing to take Elderts on because it was just being stupid. Deedy joined some nonsense and pulled a gun. He was the most........ of all.
on August 2,2013 | 05:29AM
Dragonman wrote:
Maybe you would feel differently if you or one of your family members were being bullied. Would you want someone to come to your aid if that happened or is it okay with you if everyone around you ignored the fact that someone was picking on you ? I am not justfying what Deedy did, I am saying think before you post. What you are saying is that it is okay for a person to push someone around and that it is okay for bystanders to just watch and not help.
on August 2,2013 | 06:34AM
kiragirl wrote:
One can watch and step in IF a physical situation occurs. Words are just words.
on August 2,2013 | 07:08AM
Fred01 wrote:
Words can be threats.
on August 2,2013 | 01:19PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Dragonman wrote: Maybe you would feel differently if you or one of your family members were being bullied. Would you want someone to come to your aid if that happened or is it okay with you if everyone around you ignored the fact that someone was picking on you ? I am not justfying what Deedy did, I am saying think before you post.

If I had a family member possibly being bullied, I would want someone to help them. If Deedy had walked over to Perrine and asked him how he was doing, and maybe sat down with him, he might have found out that Perrine was actually fine, or possibly oblivious to being being bullied. That might have ended things right there. Just sitting with him might have sent a message that "this guy isn't alone." I'd like to think that's how I would have approached it.

Keep in mind that so far NO ONE has testified that Perrine was ever threatened. No one from the prosecution OR defense.

I think if Deedy was looking to help out Perrine, he would have walked over to Perrine. Instead he walked over to Elderts and threatened to shoot him and kicked him. That sounds more like someone looking for a fight than someone looking to help out a stranger.


on August 2,2013 | 07:35AM
control wrote:
more nonesense. if an real officer were there, he would go directly to elderts to stop the altercation, not perrine. you go to be joking if you think the officer would go to perrine and ask him how he was doing, he would go directly to the source of irritation, elderts. there is no guarantee that if deedy didn't intervene that there wouldn't have been a fight between elderts, medeiros and perrine, esp since it has been established that there was a staredown. but then you have your own stories on this whole incident so no sense even trying to converse with you since you are so smart and know the whole case from your couch or office.
on August 2,2013 | 08:01AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
control wrote: "more nonesense. if an real officer were there, he would go directly to elderts"

Let's just agree that we don't know exactly a real police officer would have handled things that night.


on August 2,2013 | 08:54AM
Mypualani wrote:
Well the security lady did say that Elderts smiled at Perrine when the both sat down, maybe it was a leering kind of smile maybe they were both leering at each other.
on August 2,2013 | 08:58AM
false wrote:
They were drunk. How do drunks smile. Goofy.
on August 2,2013 | 07:04PM
Mypualani wrote:
LOL false I don't know never thought of that.
on August 3,2013 | 10:54AM
Mypualani wrote:
What aid? the two were sitting, Deedy escalated the situation by committing to criminal acts before pulling his gun, he wasn't in fear when he walked up to a guy sitting down and threatened to shoot him. Elderts according to everyone was under the influence of Alcohol and drugs. And no I don't take kindly to my loved ones getting bullied but I will tell you what when that happened to my child I didn't threaten to kill that person or shoot that person. Deedy kicked Elderts first, why because he said a bad word to him?
on August 2,2013 | 08:56AM
false wrote:
Live in Hawai`i been bullied from 4th grade and never got into a fight. Some of us are just made differently. We are our culture to the toes and don't need to strut the stuff or take on challengers. Can give stink eye as good as the next. Choose the battles but never with a weapon. Words can be denigrating to the core. It happens every day in power plays all around. Face it.
on August 2,2013 | 07:03PM
control wrote:
what a joke, if elderts and medeiros didn't start the whole thing he would be alive today too. you are pinning this all on deedy but elderts and medeiros were just as guilty of starting the incident. how do you know that there wouldn't have been a fight between perrine and elderts/medeiros? deedy thought he was helping the situation by getting involved but lack of training and poor judgement made the situation worse and someone got killed. elderts and medeiros were the most of all, maybe if they weren't such p u n k s elderts would still be alive today.
on August 2,2013 | 07:41AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
control wrote: "what a joke, if elderts and medeiros didn't start the whole thing he would be alive today too. you are pinning this all on deedy but elderts and medeiros were just as guilty of starting the incident. "

' Perrine left the counter and sat down, but Elderts continued to bother him with an “irritating smile,” '

I can only assume that was a "semi-automatic, assault style" smile, which is why Deedy felt it was necessary to approach Elderts, threaten him with death, kick him and then when it looked like he was going to get hit back, pulled out a concealed pistol, and shoot up a crowded McDonalds as he shot Elderts in the chest.


on August 2,2013 | 08:00AM
control wrote:
more nonesense.
on August 2,2013 | 08:11AM
Mypualani wrote:
Actually no it's right there on the video and witness testimony three of whom were not drinking that night. Ms. Au, The Muslim marine and the cashier. they were there.
on August 2,2013 | 09:02AM
saveparadise wrote:
Agree with control. Kalaheo1 is trying to defend a dead troublemaker who is not on trial.
on August 2,2013 | 09:15AM
Mypualani wrote:
@ save no I think he is trying to defend the laws that we have in this beautiful state of Hawaii. Elderts is dead and gone, How is he being defended here?
on August 2,2013 | 12:33PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT control I see your point of view clearly, really I do. I am not pinning this whole thing on Deedy I think he was trying to help. But what I am pinning on Deedy is his actions that night. Action one: deadly threat, that of which is a criminal offense class c felony, Action 2: during what looks like to be an argument (Tape and un-biased witnesses) Deedy kicks Elderts and Elderts returns this with a slap to the face that knocks Deedy down. Action 3: Deedy pulls out his gun and fires. What did Deedy hope to accomplish by taking these actions especially the last one? in my humble opinion I think Deedy was just trying to put the fear of law enforcement into Elderts, but things didn't quite pan out that way in the end. you cannot in the state of Hawaii pull a gun in a fist fight and claim self-defense when taking another's life.
on August 2,2013 | 12:31PM
false wrote:
Mahalo for the clarity. Can't wait for this to end the insanity of that night. It was all so avoidable, "if only".
on August 2,2013 | 07:07PM
allie wrote:
The irritating laugh and snide comments of Madeiros on the stand showed him to be a betrayer of his so-called "friend." Afdter egging Elderts on, he left him to die. He is a lousy friend and coward. That said, it is manslaughter to me as deedy should not have taken the bait. Should have walked away.
on August 2,2013 | 01:49PM
sailfish1 wrote:
Since Deedy is a law officer he is expected to intervene if there was something bad going down. If he just ignored it and something bad happened he would have been criticized by YOU and everyone else for not performing his duty. Do you think an off duty HPD officer would have just ignored what was happening?
on August 2,2013 | 08:46AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
sailfish1 wrote: "Since Deedy is a law officer he is expected to intervene if there was something bad going down. If he just ignored it and something bad happened he would have been criticized by YOU and everyone else for not performing his duty. Do you think an off duty HPD officer would have just ignored what was happening?"

Reading the security guard's testimony, it sounds like Elderts was razzing Perrine as they both ordered their burgers. No one has testified that Elderts threatened him and Perrine himself testified that he did not feel threatened.

Regardless of what Elderts said to Perrine, things quickly settled down to the point where Elderts was sitting, waiting for his burgers with a "irritating smile."

I'm not sure what law you think got broken and why you think an off duty HPD officer would get involved.

I talked to one of my police friends and asked him what he would have done. He said in that particular situation, eaten his big mac and left, and that particular McDonalds is always full of drunk people after midnight. If he was concerned, but had been drinking, and it wasn't about to blow up that second, he'd use his cell phone to call one of the on duty guys and ask him to swing by. He said if was about to blow up that second, he'd get as many people out as quickly as he could and call for help.

What do you think an off duty HPD officer should have done if they saw Elderts smiling an irritating smile?


on August 2,2013 | 09:09AM
Mypualani wrote:
Oh my God, Kalaheo those are some good questions you asked. Thank you
on August 2,2013 | 10:42AM
control wrote:
yes, but you are talking about information from a properly trained officer. do you think that deedy was properly trained? he may have had good intentions to try to break up what he perceived to be the start of a fight but no properly trained officer would have reacted the way deedy did. and if you think it was just a "razzing", we local people all know that these razzings are a putdown hoping to get a rise out of the victim.
on August 2,2013 | 11:41AM
sailfish1 wrote:
An "irritating" smile can mean a lot of things. One of them is that "We're going to follow you after you leave and kill you". Things like knifings in Waikiki are reported quite often these days. If a couple of thugs gave you that smile , would you smile back? Your HPD friend would be irresponsible if he did not say something to Elderts to "cool it" or at least call a on duty officer to do it for him.
on August 2,2013 | 11:53AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
sailfish1 wrote: "An "irritating" smile can mean a lot of things. One of them is that "We're going to follow you after you leave and kill you". Things like knifings in Waikiki are reported quite often these days. If a couple of thugs gave you that smile , would you smile back? "

My goodness! I hope I never smile at you in public!


on August 2,2013 | 02:26PM
Mypualani wrote:
I will never smile at people again after reading that, nah I smile at everybody I see and say hi or Aloha. Being cordial and nice never hurt anyone, being nice does not cost a thing.
on August 2,2013 | 11:54PM
Mypualani wrote:
@sfish you got all that from a smile?
on August 3,2013 | 11:00AM
false wrote:
Cops who threaten a person by their action, attitude, voice and words can be subjected to discipline. Personal experience in a person who was cautioned about a potential hazard while operating a vehicle, complained about the cop and the incident was investigated. There was no gun drawn, it was just tone of voice and commanding stance that raised the ire of the public person. Deedy by comparison was way over the boundary.
on August 2,2013 | 07:11PM
Mypualani wrote:
all these if's, if this if that if how if when, well guess what all those if's don't amount to a hill of beans because all the if's need to be backed up with evidence. If Elderts and Medeiros had ordered their food and did not bother a soul he would be alive. If Deedy didn't step up instead of calling the police if he sensed danger, Elderts would be alive. Oh yeah I can see it now. Security lady to officer: he waved at me and made big noise and bother people, boom Elderts would be alive all these if's well I hate to be the one to tell you all, One man is on trial for his life(not talking bout death penalty here) another is dead and all the if's in this world won't change the actions on both sides of this horrific mess.
on August 2,2013 | 10:40AM
control wrote:
I agree with your first 3 sentences, that if the incident were handled differently by either side then things could have turned ot differently and a life may not have been lost. 2 wrongs don't make a right, this was an unfortunate case of poor judgement on both sides.
on August 2,2013 | 11:46AM
Mypualani wrote:
@ control BIG TIME.
on August 2,2013 | 12:35PM
Fred01 wrote:
Your attitude of ignoring bullying is exactly what is wrong with the "culture." Folks who turn their back like you are pathetic and sad.
on August 2,2013 | 01:18PM
MKN wrote:
@false: I agree that if Deedy didn't intervene, no one would have gotten hurt. However, if Elderts and Medeiros didn't bully and mouth off at people, this whole situation of events wouldn't have been possible. Like I have said before, lots of blame to go around on both sides. Drunk people do stupid things and that's exactly what happened here.
on August 2,2013 | 01:50PM
kiragirl wrote:
Interesting as she needed an interpeture as she does not speak English.
on August 2,2013 | 05:32AM
Fred01 wrote:
Apparently neither do you!
on August 2,2013 | 01:20PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Well she did say that Elderts had an "irritating smile."
on August 2,2013 | 06:25AM
lookup wrote:
Was there an objection at that point? Is she qualified as an expert witness? I don't think so...I do not think we are getting the full picture as readers of the SA!
on August 2,2013 | 09:23AM
Mypualani wrote:
She also said that Elderts waved at her with a smile and it was very disrespecting to her as a security officer. so I asked my security guard nephew and he said smiling and waving is not against the law, he said his job is to Observe and Report if anything goes down.
on August 2,2013 | 10:45AM
Mei mei wrote:
i'm sure perception is what they were looking for with this witness and if she perceived the glance and wave as condescending (probably because she was a little female), that is what she testified to that Elderts and company were being disrespectful.. You don't have to be an expert to see if someone is a punk or being a bully...
on August 2,2013 | 12:40PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that a "disrespectful wave" is still perfectly legal. What law is it that you think Elderts broke?
on August 2,2013 | 02:28PM
lookup wrote:
I don't think that a few wise a#@ comments consist of "bulling", harrassment maybe but Perrine did not think the comments where such a big deal. Being intoxicated himself he knew that they were just f-ing around. The security guard should have called HPD at that time if she felt there was a problem.
on August 2,2013 | 09:17AM
Popeye wrote:
Alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, and someone saying they will shoot you they then show a gun and Elderts still attacks the man with a gun. Elderts has history of being a trouble maker and I would guess Mediros does also. If sober and not a drug abuser as his blood tests show would a smart man on a sober day walked away? Very sad, a wasted life and many other ruined lives and broken hears for all concerned.
on August 2,2013 | 03:14AM
MalamaKaAina wrote:
Popeye lives in Virginia.
on August 2,2013 | 04:55AM
LittleEarl_01 wrote:
And you point is?
on August 2,2013 | 05:04AM
RichardCory wrote:
Christopher Deedy is from Virginia. Malama is suggesting that Popeye must be from Virginia because his comment was not pro-Elderts. Obviously, anyone who supports Deedy must be from Virginia because everyone always support people who come from the same state as them. Just as we always support locals under all circumstances at all times against any non-locals because there is no possible way any local could ever do anything wrong to a non-local. It makes perfect sense. You just have to be a fool to believe it.
on August 2,2013 | 05:12AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Regardless of where you are from, this account of events does not help Deedy's defense.

Here's what she DIDN'T testify to. She DIDN'T testify that Eldert's was an immediate threat and she DIDN'T testify that Deedy identified himself as a police officer. All she testified to was that Elderts was being loud and after Deedy approached him, threatened him and assaulted him, things escalated quickly.

She did testify that when Deedy got involved she sensed that things were getting worse and she asked them to tke it outside.


on August 2,2013 | 05:46AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Were you in the courtroom? How do you know if she didn't testify if Deedy showed Elderts a wallet or identified himself?
on August 2,2013 | 05:51AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I understand wishful thinking. I really do.

If the defense had asked her if Deedy had identified himself as a police officer and she said yes, it would have been the headline today. No one is reporting that happened.

It's not unusual for a newspaper to not report unasked questions. If the defense didn't ask, it's because they already knew what the answer would be.


on August 2,2013 | 06:40AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
@kalaheo, just what I thought. You have no idea what was and was not asked. You weren't there and just write stuff about the little fantasy in your head.
on August 2,2013 | 11:10AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "just what I thought. You have no idea what was and was not asked. You weren't there and just write stuff about the little fantasy in your head."

I believe you are the one with the fantasy if you think that the security guard testified that Deedy identified himself as a law enforcement agent.

Hey, you know would really show me up and embarrass me? Post evidence that the security guard testified that Deedy identified himself as a law enforcement agent. That'll show me!


on August 2,2013 | 02:38PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
@kalaheo, while you're at it, why don't you also post up some evidence of everything you claim?
on August 2,2013 | 04:36PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I'm still waiting for you to embarrass by posting evidence that the security guard testified that Deedy identified himself as a law enforcement agent. C'mon.

That'll show me good and be really embarrassing for me. Go ahead.

I'm sure that if you just wish hard enough, it will magically appear.


on August 2,2013 | 05:16PM
lee1957 wrote:
Yesterday's witness testified that Deedy showed his credentials. Doesn't mean he did, but that is for the jurors to decide.
on August 2,2013 | 06:17AM
Mypualani wrote:
she did her job then, shouldn't she have called the police with her senses? not putting anything on her. She did what she was paid to do, observe and report, on the stand she said was disrespected because, the two boys came in and were loud and Elderts waved at her and said hi security! "They know she is security they see the shirt "so they should have respect. her words not mine. I can see her point of view on this but her testimony does little for the defense. sorry
on August 2,2013 | 09:15AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
RichardCory, I am relishing this trial. It is so delicious. Deedy and his family are being ravaged financially, emotionally and career-wise. If he is found guilty, it is only icing on the cake. Then he'll suffer again during his wrongful death lawsuit. If found innocent, No one will riot. As far as I'm concerned, Deedy is paying for it right now.
on August 2,2013 | 07:14AM
control wrote:
great. bet you pulled off the legs on bugs when you were little too.
on August 2,2013 | 08:03AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
I admit I have done bad stuff as a younger man, as millions of people throughout history have.. Interpret that as you wish.
on August 2,2013 | 08:54AM
Mypualani wrote:
@ control LOL, you took the words out of my mouth....
on August 2,2013 | 09:16AM
Mythman wrote:
There won't be any wrongful death suit as it isn't plausible, despite the great Mike Green handling it....
on August 2,2013 | 08:11AM
Mypualani wrote:
@ MYTHMAN: Oh okay I will tell him that, LOL
on August 2,2013 | 09:17AM
luckyman wrote:
Agree with you Kalaheo1. Weak defense witnesses. For Deedy's sake, I hope they have better witnesses. And I am not siding with anyone.
on August 2,2013 | 08:14AM
control wrote:
sure you are.
on August 2,2013 | 08:22AM
control wrote:
I don't like these trials. it continues to give everyone else the opinion that all locals are hotheads egging on others with racial tones. no matter what the verdict, it does not give everyone a good opinion of hawaii. it also gives everyone a low opinion of the feds, that they don't train their agents properly and makes us wonder how safe we are, if all fed agents were as 'trained" as deedy should we all fear for our lives?
on August 2,2013 | 11:51AM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT Richard, Nothing here is pro Elderts Dear, get that right! it's more like just because you work for the feds you are not above the law when it comes to taking a life. Been on these blogs and nothing here stated that we were okay with what Elderts and his Friend who I believe was not being totally truthful either. you cannot come here kill someone and justify it because of words. Sorry it does not work that way here.
on August 2,2013 | 09:09AM
sailfish1 wrote:
Only "locals" are allowed to go around and kill somebody because of words.
on August 2,2013 | 12:19PM
Mypualani wrote:
Sailfish wrote: Only "locals" are allowed to go around and kill somebody because of words. What are you? like 7 years old? get a grip
on August 3,2013 | 12:02AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Popeye wrote: "Alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, and someone saying they will shoot you they then show a gun and Elderts still attacks the man with a gun. Elderts has history of being a trouble maker and I would guess Mediros does also. If sober and not a drug abuser as his blood tests show would a smart man on a sober day walked away?"

A couple of things Popeye...

Elderts didn't assault Deedy, Deedy assaulted Elderts. Elderts then acted to defend himself against a a stranger who had threatened to kill him and already physically assaulted him.

Judging by this trial, Deedy now has a history of being a trouble maker too. You'll note in the security guard's testimony above, that she didn't get concerned about violence until Deedy got involved and once he did, she asked them to take it outside.

And before you blame Elderts for being drunk in McDonalds at 3am, let me remind you that Deedy's friend was so drunk that he testified that it (conveniently) interfered with his recall of the night's events. Deedy had also been drinking after hours of bar hopping, as his own lawyer admitted. We will never know what drugs, if any, Deedy had in his blood because he refused to cooperate with police when they asked for a blood test.


on August 2,2013 | 08:13AM
Mypualani wrote:
um he didn't "show" a gun, as you like to put it, he pulled it out and started firing. so Nailz some people
on August 2,2013 | 09:04AM
Slow wrote:
What else do you guess?
on August 2,2013 | 12:20PM
puamamane wrote:
"haole" again. Elderts is obviously racist. Innocent
on August 2,2013 | 03:47AM
puamamane wrote:
Elderts was obviously racist with the constant "haole" remarks
on August 2,2013 | 03:54AM
puamamane wrote:
Elderts is obviously racist
on August 2,2013 | 03:54AM
Mythman wrote:
Elderts knew Perrine is or was a Marine - he was bullying a Marine, which makes him a big man who is not afraid to bully someone who actually perhaps did, as Marines do, serve his country with honor in a foreign war, just like Agent Deedy did in Libya and elsewhere before coming here for Pres Obama's APEC event, which he gave as a gift to Hawaii and which naturally we screwed up by trying to make it serve the OHA and royal KSBE Chi-HI agenda (Chi doesn't refer to Chi town).
on August 2,2013 | 04:15AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
What on earth are you talking about?

Not that it matters, but Perrine wasn't a US Marine. Two of the witnesses who saw him threaten, assault and shoot Elderts were US Marines. They testified for the prosecution that Deedy was the aggressor.


on August 2,2013 | 05:51AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Mythman just wanted to get his kicks in so that it'll wind up to the ones he hates ...OHA, KSBE and the Chinese.
on August 2,2013 | 06:16AM
Mypualani wrote:
@Hanalei that went from this case to OHA and KSBE. DANG WHERE DOES IT END???
on August 2,2013 | 09:21AM
Mythman wrote:
Correction: Mr. Hanalei 395 said mythman "hates" the OHA, KSBE and the Chinese, Mythman never said this. They are the ones that started the hate against the US of A when the started the PR campaign that the US of A is illegally occupying Hawaii, leading to stupid fools like Kollin et al picking it up and repeating it in their behavior - leading to getting killed by an agent of the US of A, in this instance. Get it, Mr. hanalei?
on August 2,2013 | 11:31AM
Mypualani wrote:
No it was the us of a who started the hate. if I came into your home with threats to your loved ones an illegally occupied your residence, would you love me? Strategically Hawaii was and still is in the middle of it all you know with all the shipping and all for commerce back in the day, whaling Spanish American war, why do you think the Japanese bomb pearl harbor? because that is where the US of a's ships where and they also shot at civilian and military alike, they didn't discriminate at all. I don't hate the USA, do I hate some of the injustices that happened along the way, way before I was even born. sure I do but I have better things to do with my life then to sit around crying for things that I myself cannot change. I was born in 1963 just made it being born a US citizen do I hate it of course not I live in a beautiful place and I am a citizen of one of the best counties in the world, well so I am told.
on August 2,2013 | 12:47PM
luckyman wrote:
West said, "I saw Chris pull out WHAT LOOKED like a wallet, flip it open and present it face forward." That is different from saying, I say Chris TAKE OUT his wallet, and show his BADGE. How can the headline say "Defendant showed badge, witness says" Same with this security guard. She said, "Perrine gave a LOOK at Ebert as IF saying, "Leave me alone; don't bother me." Ebert bothering Perrine with a "irritating smile". This is all speculation. I would have loved to hear the security guard say, "Perrine said not bother me, or Ebert said something to Perrine while he was sitting at the table. I hope the defense can get better witnesses.
on August 2,2013 | 08:01AM
control wrote:
yes, I'm sure that everybody takes out their wallets and flip it open because they aren't officers. west had to say it that way because the prosecutors would have grilled her to break her testimony. she wasn't in position to see exactly what was in the wallet. if she actually saw a badge in the wallet she would have said so but since she didn't actually see it the said exactly what she observed. are you sure you aren't kalaheo with your made up excuses?
on August 2,2013 | 08:18AM
saveparadise wrote:
lol with you control, these people are in denial now that we are all hearing different testimony. The forensic expert's testimony will weigh heavy. They do not become credible in a court of law by being "paid off" to give false testimony. Deed may even walk. The defense is doing a great job.
on August 2,2013 | 09:22AM
Mypualani wrote:
At save, "The forensic expert's testimony will weigh heavy. They do not become credible in a court of law by being "paid off" to give false testimony. Deed may even walk. The defense is doing a great job.' does not weigh heavy to me, as far as I am concerned he's just a paid expert who basically said the same thing as the ME, but dismissed the video and eyewitness testimony. I he even changed the trajectory of the bullet in Elderts body, that he did not personally examine and last but not least that shot at close range could have been standing or on the ground as the Defense is trying to put just enough doubt with their story of what happened, I read Deedy's side of what happened and sorry with the video and witnesses his story and the evidence just does not jive, oh yeah Ms. West who has a clear and fluid memory does not remember Deedy saying that he was going to shoot Elderts. So every witness sober and all are lying. Nice try defense.
on August 2,2013 | 10:59AM
luckyman wrote:
Defense needs better witnesses. I don't believe they are doing a good job. I might agree with you later. Not right now.
on August 2,2013 | 11:35AM
Mypualani wrote:
Well she cannot lie under oath can she?
on August 2,2013 | 09:26AM
umanasibo wrote:
Or, Deedy could have opened his wallet, flashed his Virginia driver's license, and dared Elderts to call him a haole because he's from out of state — then threatened to shoot him in the face if he did. I'm not saying this is what happened — unlikely since no one to this point has testified to what Deedy may have said. All I'm saying is there is at least one other possibility of why he may have shown Elderts what was in his wallet.
on August 2,2013 | 09:39AM
luckyman wrote:
Sorry control, this is not Kalaheo1. I am just a person finding a reason to justify what Deedy did was correct. The defense needs to get better witnesses who are precise and accurate. I know SA is sensationalizing the trial, but it really makes it hard from what they report. There is a difference from what witnesses say and SA writes.
on August 2,2013 | 10:30AM
control wrote:
you are 100% correct. part of the problem is that many of us (me included) are judging the trial on nothing more than what we are reading and hearing in the SA and on tv, which is basically snips and sound bites for a few seconds. totally different for the jury, they are seeing and hearing everything going on in court, seeing how the witnesses are testifying, how the prosecutors and defense are presenting their whole case in entirety, also watching how the prosecution and defense cross examines the witnesses, something we don't hear much about. they also see the reaction from the witness and nonverbal actions from the witnesses and lawyers. Did the prosecution cross examine West and what was brought up? The news media seems to only feed us information they think pertinent but it would be good to at least have a summary or the court reporter's writing to read for ourselves what went on in court. . As others mentioned, I wish there was a streaming vid of the whole trial so we can see all information presented, otherwise we are only using what each of us interprets to be "facts" to judge the case.
on August 2,2013 | 12:01PM
luckyman wrote:
Sad thing is, as interesting this trial is, no one will win in the end.
on August 2,2013 | 12:22PM
Mypualani wrote:
Actually that security guard can read minds, my question is if it was so bad why didn't she call the police? I will speculate on this question. Because when the police comes she will tell the police, well they are loud, one even waved at me and that one sitting there he is smiling an irritating smile to the other man sitting there. Also the reporting is horrible
on August 2,2013 | 09:26AM
Mypualani wrote:
Correction on my part for the above comment, "NOT READ MINDS" but read body language I re-read my post and I look stuuuupid. And read like salt fish
on August 3,2013 | 11:27AM
Mythman wrote:
You're right, Perrine is a "local", the high colonic guy from Kailua, apparently.
on August 2,2013 | 08:21AM
Mythman wrote:
Kalaheo1 wrote: "What on earth are you talking about" Clue: Benghazi. Gun running. CIA. The way Ron Rewald got himself out of prison after they put him there despite being an asset serving his country well was he kept a list of the agents his outfit was providing cover for while they ran guns in Europe.
on August 2,2013 | 06:12AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Okay. Now I really don't know what you are talking about.

Does any of that have anything to do with this witnesses testimony that Elderts had an "irritating smile" and that once Deedy got involved, she asked them both to take it outside?


on August 2,2013 | 07:08AM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT Kalaheo1 apparently it has everything to do with this case, the Agent is a hero ! a hero I tell ya! there was an article about how Special Agent Deedy went to Benghazi to help set up "house for that diplomat who was killed along with his security detail, Deedy went but was not there when the incident happened, you know the one the repulies was trying to blame Obama for. I am for real republicans not the sniveling rats they have representing the party now.
on August 2,2013 | 11:05AM
lookup wrote:
Huh...was Perrine wearing a Marine uniform? He admitted being drunk so Elders was just babbling to another guy who was probably ending his night of partying just as he was and trying to be funny and did not expect to be in the company of a federal agent on a power trip.
on August 2,2013 | 09:31AM
allie wrote:
Madieros was egging Elderts to confront someone. As Madieros said on the stand, the two were bored stiff and were looking for trouble. What they did not figure on was a gun. Deedy should have done what Perrine did: ignore the yokels and move on.
on August 2,2013 | 01:52PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
puamamane wrote: "Elderts is obviously racist"

Was there something in the security guard's testimony that led to that conclusion?


on August 2,2013 | 07:38AM
Mypualani wrote:
Yes Kalaheo it was racist because he waved at her and said hi security, saw her testimony on a news stream, Mary could barely speak English, I think when she said smile irritatingly, maybe she meant LEERING! but didn't know how to articulate that word.
on August 2,2013 | 09:30AM
Mypualani wrote:
yeah puamamae reads minds too, maybe Elderts came to her/him and told her/him. or because Elderts said the forbidden H word.
on August 2,2013 | 11:07AM
allie wrote:
He was a white Portuguese, not Hawaiian at all.
on August 2,2013 | 08:33AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
All-lie, it's not the color of your skin that identifies your culture. You're Mandan, so you must be brown-skinned like Indians, yes?
on August 2,2013 | 08:57AM
Mypualani wrote:
@ Retired working, you are beating a very dead horse with all lies. she can believe what she wants to she's baiting she needs to stir the pot so to speak, that's how it gets off. eewwww
on August 2,2013 | 11:09AM
allie wrote:
Elderts has no Hawaiian hon. He was Portuguese, a proud people. White as is Madeiros.
on August 2,2013 | 01:53PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
All-lie does not understand cultural relationships, only skin color. She also has no idea what the term critical thinking means..
on August 2,2013 | 05:31PM
Mypualani wrote:
none what so ever.
on August 3,2013 | 12:07AM
Mypualani wrote:
All lies you need to go get yourself a toy so you can "release Merry" all that pent up stuff is not good hon.
on August 2,2013 | 11:10AM
allie wrote:
huh?
on August 2,2013 | 03:06PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
LOL, All-lie, Mypua said to go f yourself.
on August 2,2013 | 05:32PM
aomohoa wrote:
Here you go again with the same stupid comment! LOL
on August 2,2013 | 09:11PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Unbiased witness corroborating the defense's side of the story. It starting to look like Deedy did have a valid reason to intervene. How come the SA didn't post if she saw him show his badge? It had to have been asked. A few things are obvious, Elderts is a racist and Perrine has no back bone and was probably scared to testify.
on August 2,2013 | 04:23AM
MalamaKaAina wrote:
Kailuaraised lives in Virgina.
on August 2,2013 | 04:53AM
LittleEarl_01 wrote:
And your point is?
on August 2,2013 | 05:04AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
No I don't. But even if I did, what's your point?
on August 2,2013 | 05:26AM
lee1957 wrote:
And what hole in the ground do you live in?
on August 2,2013 | 06:19AM
control wrote:
malama is a troll, only making comments meant to aggravate people. do not feed the troll, ignore the person. unfortunately this person won't go away so best to just ignore him/her/it.
on August 2,2013 | 07:44AM
MKN wrote:
@MalamaKaAina: He probably doesn't. If you attempted to track where in the world I am from, you would see the ISP that I am using. It doesn't mean I live at said ISP. :P
on August 2,2013 | 02:02PM
roxeee wrote:
"How come the SA didn't post if she saw him show his badge? It had to have been asked.." Maybe she didn't see that. It will be prosecution's turn to ask her that question.
on August 2,2013 | 05:30AM
roxeee wrote:
They also didn't ask her what she witnessed during the shooting.
on August 2,2013 | 05:34AM
Mypualani wrote:
Maybe she was covering her eyes! she was stated that Deedy went over to Elderts and spoke softly, she was not in a position to see or hear what was being said or done at the table until Deedy made his threat to Elderts. Then she came over and told them to take it outside.
on August 2,2013 | 09:40AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Unbiased witness corroborating the defense's side of the story. It starting to look like Deedy did have a valid reason to intervene. How come the SA didn't post if she saw him show his badge? It had to have been asked. A few things are obvious, Elderts is a racist and Perrine has no back bone and was probably scared to testify."

Are you serious? I don't know why the defense would call this witness and she did nothing to help their case. There are so many things wrong with your comment, I don't know where to start.

Perrine DID testify. He testified that he was quite drunk that night but didn't recall feeling threatened. I think it was day 3 of the trial.

She does NOT support the defense's version of events. In her testimony, Elderts was boisterous and possibly annoying. She did not testify that he represented a threat and it was only after Deedy involved himself that she sensed violence brewing and asked them both to take it outside.

She did NOT testify that she heard Deedy identify himself as law enforcement, and did nothing to impeach the prosecution's witnesses, including a stone sober United States Marine that heard Deedy threatening to shoot Elderts before he kicked him.

What exactly do you think the security guard did collaborate about Deedy's story? I'm a little surprised the prosecution didn't call her too.


on August 2,2013 | 06:06AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Right, a nice little fantasy for your head. You're once again basing you're entire case on the prosecution. You weren't in the court room today just like the rest of us were not. It proves that Elderts was actually bothering Perrine and Deedy did come up and intervene.
on August 2,2013 | 11:15AM
hapaguy wrote:
I believe Kalaheo is correct. Her testimony does absolutely nothing to bolster the defense case that Deedy shot in self defense..
on August 2,2013 | 12:56PM
MKN wrote:
@hapaguy: It does bolster the defense's case that Elderts and Medeiros were harassing people which is a part of the defense's assertions. What's interesting is that I found out Medeiros is a convicted drug dealer. I saw it on Hoohiki last night after I read a different forum that stated that mentioned it. I wouldn't believe that dude's testimony one bit. Unfortunately the jury can't take that into account.
on August 2,2013 | 02:07PM
hapaguy wrote:
I see your point. She supports the defenses contention that Elderts and Deedy were bullies. My point is, she didn't provide any testimony to anything pertinent. What is she testifying to that will buttress the defense case that the shooting was in self defense? She also did not testify in rebuttal to anything the Prosecution witnesses have said.
on August 2,2013 | 02:26PM
dsl wrote:
I didn't know bothering or staring was a crime punishable by death?
on August 2,2013 | 01:08PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT dsl well now you know.
on August 3,2013 | 11:31AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Right, a nice little fantasy for your head. You're once again basing you're entire case on the prosecution. You weren't in the court room today just like the rest of us were not. It proves that Elderts was actually bothering Perrine and Deedy did come up and intervene."

So which part of what I wrote did you think was fantasy?

This was someone who was standing next to them as the whole thing happened! She didn't testify that Elderts represented a threat. She didn't testify that she heard Deedy identify himself as law enforcement, and did nothing to impeach the prosecution's witnesses, including a stone sober United States Marine that heard Deedy threatening to shoot Elderts before he kicked him.

And it was only after Deedy involved himself, that she asked them BOTH to leave.

I don't think anyone ever claimed Elderts didn't speak to Perrine and was boisterous that night. But smiling in an irritating fashion and waving dismissively at a McDonald's security guard doesn't usually warrant death threats and assualt by the police.


on August 2,2013 | 02:55PM
bluebowl wrote:
Karma
on August 2,2013 | 04:32PM
Mypualani wrote:
Sorry but in the court of law there is no valid reason to commit criminal acts, like threatening to shoot someone and then following through with a kick and a bullet to the chest. Those are the facts of this case and supported by evidence and testimony. Deedy's claim simply does not rise to the level of self dense, not by Hawaii laws. And please don't say I am taking E&M's side because I don't condone that behavior at all. I think it is unjust and plain Pilau kine action, But that night Deedy took a life and believed he could just walk away from it all and live happily ever after.
on August 2,2013 | 09:37AM
lookup wrote:
No Elders and other locals like him are not a racist. There are people who are raised in Hawaii who are tired of being discriminated against and/or put down because of there ethnic background or the relaxed was of speakig (pigeon) by those who come from a background of thinking that they are better than other people and they treat people those people as being less than themselves.
on August 2,2013 | 09:39AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Please. Elderts brought it upon himself. He didn't know Perrine and went about calling him a H word. Elderts had an inferiority complex and probably blamed his lower class lifestyle on others rather than himself.
on August 2,2013 | 11:17AM
lookup wrote:
So you are saying that Elderts deserved to be shot and killed because he was calling a fellow drunk a "h....". Well i don't see how he could have called him "Bradda". he saw that there was a differance between them...Elders being Local and Perrine having a differant background and demenor about him. After Perrine stated that he had lived here for a long time Elderts response was mellow and Perrine stated that he did not feel threatened at any time. People who have been around "local Style" long enough understand the why's and the wherefore's of it all. Elders did not feel inferior as he took on Deedy with everything he had and Deedy then Punked Out with his firearm.
on August 2,2013 | 12:04PM
control wrote:
people with inferiority complexes sometimes try to be aggresive to make up for their complex. if things were okay, then why the stare down? I'm local and have seen the staredown before, it wasn't mellow, elderts and medeiros were trying to egg on perrine. you hear the prosecution side that everything was mellow but if you were there you would have noticed that it was far from mellow.
on August 2,2013 | 12:53PM
allie wrote:
I said the same above.
on August 2,2013 | 01:55PM
Mypualani wrote:
Okay Kraised Elderts bought this upon himself. My question to you is Deedy innocent of the crimes he committed? terroristic threatening (Class c felony) which by the way he has been charged with and is on trial for besides the murder 2 charge. Assaulting Elderts first (class d misdemeanor prolly) then Agent gets slapped in the face, falls to the ground gets up and fires his gun BAAM!!! his simple assault turned to murder 2 in the blink of an eye also yelling in front of impartial witnesses that I am going to shoot you is called with malice and afore thought, according to witnesses he threatened to shoot Elderts and asked him if he wanted to get shot. Now Elderts being high and drunk at the time GETS UP TO THE CHALLENGE that Deedy incited by his own words. So yeah I don't think this is going to be a cake walk, but who knows yeah all it takes is one juror to put a crimp in things. The prosecution did a good job the police however OMG...
on August 2,2013 | 01:07PM
allie wrote:
I said it was manslaughter months ago
on August 2,2013 | 01:56PM
allie wrote:
Madeiros admitted they were drunk and looking for trouble and entertainment. That is why they went to Waikiki. Happens all the time. Madieros egged Elderts on but did not figure on Deedy.
on August 2,2013 | 01:55PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Please. Elderts brought it upon himself. He didn't know Perrine and went about calling him a H word. Elderts had an inferiority complex and probably blamed his lower class lifestyle on others rather than himself."

Okay, walk me through this. Elderts talked to Perrine at the order counter. He may or may not have called him Ha ole, then goes and sits down to wait for his burgers. He has no further contact with Perrine, who testified that he didn't feel threatened. NO ONE has testified that Elderts threatened or even appeared to threaten any one.

Then Deedy approaches him, threatens his life, kicks him and then when he finds himself about to get hit back, pulls a gun and shoots him.

There was a nasty, out of control bully there that night, but it was Deedy and his gun and knife.


on August 2,2013 | 04:46PM
hanabatadayz wrote:
some people never grow up..and this is sometimes the end result..this is nothing new here in hawaii..maybe better parenting..but that's a stretch
on August 2,2013 | 05:28AM
lee1957 wrote:
Hope Medeiros is taking notes.
on August 2,2013 | 06:20AM
Mypualani wrote:
You are right Lee1957, one can only hope.
on August 2,2013 | 09:42AM
allie wrote:
Medeiros betrayed his friend. He has much to make up for
on August 2,2013 | 01:56PM
Usagi336 wrote:
Hope Deedy's parents are taking notes.
on August 2,2013 | 08:28AM
Mypualani wrote:
They may have to buy a home closer to their boy.
on August 2,2013 | 11:14AM
whs1966 wrote:
Popeye wrote: "Alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, and someone saying they will shoot you they then show a gun and Elderts still attacks the man with a gun. Elderts has history of being a trouble maker and I would guess Mediros does also." Where do you get this info about cocaine & marijuana and Elderts & Medeiros having records as trouble-makers? Even is true, the key issues are whether Deedy was justified in shooting Elderts.
on August 2,2013 | 05:39AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
It's already been published.
on August 2,2013 | 05:52AM
control wrote:
no, the defense is using those issues as a reason why elderts and medeiros were the aggressors in this incident. now they have to show that deedy felt threatened enough to shoot elderts. Deedy will probably testify but we all know that kalaheo won't believe anything coming from the defense anyway.
on August 2,2013 | 07:47AM
Mypualani wrote:
Aggressors?
on August 2,2013 | 11:15AM
yhls wrote:
Agree with MalamaKaAina and False.
on August 2,2013 | 06:02AM
yhls wrote:
Deedy was not and is not a police officer. He was basically some guy with a gun inserting himself into someone else's argument. He was looking for trouble and he found it.
on August 2,2013 | 06:22AM
Dragonman wrote:
Thats one point of view, it could also be agrued that he saw someone he felt needed help and intervened because he is a nice guy . Remember there is always two sides to a story and that is what this court case is all about. You were not there and we are reading a summary of each witness testimony, bits and pieces that SA decides to publish.
on August 2,2013 | 06:43AM
hapaguy wrote:
At the point where Deedy decided to insert himself, Elderts and Perrine were both seated away from each other and their interaction was de-escalating. A prudent Fed Agent, if they sensed Perrine needed help, would have walked over to Perrine and said "I am a Fed Agent, do you need any assistance? You ok?" Perrine was not in any imminent danger or "about to be assaulted" as some Deedy supporters keep claiming....If you watch the video it can be seen that Deedy never spoke to Perrine at all!....
on August 2,2013 | 01:03PM
MKN wrote:
@hapaguy: No Officer would approach the victim first. They would approach the person doing the alleged harassment and tell them to cease and desist. After that, they would check on the victim's condition, see if he wanted to file a complaint, and take statements from both sides.
on August 2,2013 | 02:27PM
hapaguy wrote:
What your saying would apply if Perrine was in any imminent danger. He wasn't....
on August 2,2013 | 02:41PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Are you really being serious? Deedy is a federal agent and a sworn federal officer.
on August 2,2013 | 11:18AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
"After Deedy went to Elderts, who was sitting at a table, Soriano said she sensed there would be trouble."

What on earth was the prosecution thinking calling this witness?

She testified that at the time Deedy approached Elderts, Elderts had a "irritating smile"!!!! Seriously! No threats of violence, just a smile!

She testified that after Deedy approached him, she couldn't hear what was said, but things began escalating to the point where she asked them BOTH to take it outside.

She DIDN'T testify that Elderts represented a threat to Elderts or anyone else. She DIDN'T testify that Deedy identified himself as a police officer. And although she was an eyewitness to the shooting, the defense didn't ask her which shot she thought hit Elderts either.

I realize that the people who think Deedy should "walk" and "go back to his 6 figure job" (I'm looking at you KailuaRaised) will be bitterly disappointed by the security guard's testimony. But wow! It might be time for the defense to ask for a plea deal.


on August 2,2013 | 06:23AM
control wrote:
kalaheo, we all gave up trying to read all your wild claims, no sense trying to converse with someone who is so fixated no matter what the defense shows. luckily the jurors will look at both sides before rendering a verdict and aren't as biased as you are.
on August 2,2013 | 07:49AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
control wrote: "kalaheo, we all gave up trying to read all your wild claims, no sense trying to converse with someone who is so fixated no matter what the defense shows."

If you are going to accuse me of wild claims, please show me the courtesy of being specific. I strive for honesty and accuracy, and if you catch me in an error, you are actually doing me and other readers a favor. Thank you in advance.

What part of my comment do you consider a wild claim? I reviewed her testimony from above and pointed out that for someone who was unbiased and close to the action, she didn't testify to things that defense really needed someone to testify to. She essentially reenforced the testimony of the prosecution's witnesses.

She testified that when Deedy approached Elderts he wasn't threatening anyone but only had a "irritating smile." That's actually a pretty important point. In fact, she didn't testify that Eldert's ever threatened anyone.

She didn't testify that she saw or heard Deedy identify himself as a special agent with the US State Dept, and she testified that she didn't become concerned about violence until Deedy got involved at which point she asked both of them to leave.

This lady works the night shift at McDonalds and has probably done so for years. She knows drunks and has probably seen her share of fights. She didn't ask Elderts to leave when he was razzing Perrine, and that settled out quickly . It was only after Deedy confronted Elderts that she sensed trouble and asked them to take it outside.


on August 2,2013 | 08:47AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
So if a cop comes upon a person who is about to assault someone else, is he just supposed to stand there until an actual crime is committed? How about coming upon a suspicious person about to rob a house? Wait it out? Deedy could have went up to Elderts and identified himself (like yesterday's witness said he did) and that's when Edlerts became angry. You will find anything to convict Deedy without looking or hearing the other side.
on August 2,2013 | 11:21AM
control wrote:
not even worth trying to spar with kalaheo since he already has judged deedy.
on August 2,2013 | 12:08PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
control wrote: "not even worth trying to spar with kalaheo since he already has judged deedy."

Again, if you are going to accuse me of lying and spreading misinformation, please show me the courtesy of being specific. I strive for honesty and accuracy, and if you catch me in an error, you are actually doing me and other readers a favor.


on August 2,2013 | 05:09PM
hapaguy wrote:
"So if a cop comes upon a person who is about to assault someone else..." There has been no testimony that Elderts was about to assault Perrine! Why you are spreading misinformation?
on August 2,2013 | 12:24PM
dsl wrote:
I don't think a cop will wait until a crime is committed but he certainly won't kick either person if a crime hasn't been committed. What you think?
on August 2,2013 | 01:12PM
Mypualani wrote:
I have a question that the prosecution asked West, what did Deedy say when he flip open his wallet? (it's on the other news souses) she says she can't recall ! so are to believe that he showed Elderts his wallet and from there Elderts went into a rage? c'mon now! what fantasy land are you living in? Other witnesses testified that Elderts was being threatened with being shot and one of them being Ms. Au who was the designated driver was sober and heard and testified that Elderts yelled if you going shoot me then Fn shoot me ! get it together I know from reading your post that you are very smart and articulate as well.
on August 2,2013 | 01:16PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "So if a cop comes upon a person who is about to assault someone else, is he just supposed to stand there until an actual crime is committed? How about coming upon a suspicious person about to rob a house? Wait it out? Deedy could have went up to Elderts and identified himself (like yesterday's witness said he did) and that's when Edlerts became angry. You will find anything to convict Deedy without looking or hearing the other side."

What makes you think that Elderts was about to assault Perrine? No one has testified that that was a concern. And the video tape sure doesn't show that.

The security guard who testified yesterday for the defense said that she didn't get concerned about violence UNTIL Deedy got involved, at which point she asked them to take it outside.

So far no one but the girlfriend of Deedy's fellow brawler testified that they saw or heard Deedy identify himself. If any witness saw that, it would have been the security guard.

As for not considering the other side, thus far, I haven't seen nay evidence to support the "other side." The video tape sure doesn't support Deedy's version of event and I don't find West any more or less credible than I found Medeiros. In fact, Medeiros testimony was MORE consistent with the other eyewitnesses than West's was.


on August 2,2013 | 05:07PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT Kailuaraised you ask some pretty interesting questions, questions that you already know the answers to since you say you know people in law enforcement, when this trial started.
on August 3,2013 | 11:44AM
control wrote:
not even worth trying to counter anything you say, the great and powerful and all knowing kalaheo is perfect and knows everything. like how you suggest that deedy should have gone up to perrine to see if elderts is bothering you. Yes as an officer, if he sees an incident where locals are getting racial, calling someone else a h, instead of going to the source of the problem (elderts) to completely stop the altercation you suggest going to perrine to see how he is. yup, makes total sense since you are all knowing.
on August 2,2013 | 12:07PM
hapaguy wrote:
Why are you so upset with Kalaheo that you have to resort to name calling? Is it because he can make a sane and coherent argument and you cant so you have to resort to "great and powerful and all knowing" childish remarks. Like Kalaheo said, If you can show where Kalaheo has made some wild claim or told an untruth regarding evidence or witness testimony provide it!
on August 2,2013 | 01:33PM
Mythman wrote:
control, kalahelo thinks he is analyzing things but he is ignorant as to how language works but is buoyed by his own over inflated sense of importance. It adds up to self righteousness in pursuit of baises, unconsciously. Penalty: 100 demerits, detention and clean the blackboards.
on August 2,2013 | 11:59AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Did you live in fantasy land? Or maybe you have special powers that allows you to hear the entire testimony?
on August 2,2013 | 11:19AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Elderts did not deserve to die but he didn't help his cause any by playing macho man along with his friend Medeiros. Put the attitude in neutral. It helps to prevent these confrontations.
on August 2,2013 | 06:31AM
ricekidd wrote:
I hate to say this but My point of view, Elderts was not humble and cool. Deedy was having his(I have BIG BALLs!!!) moment. This is the end result of two MEN acting like boys.... To Bad it had to end this way... May God forgive all...
on August 2,2013 | 07:03AM
cigaripo wrote:
The biggest issue from the outcome of this trial will be does a law enforcement officer have the right to use "deadly" force against an unarmed person? Provoked by words of harrassment, no verbal threat of deadly intent, no deadly weapon,...do they have the right to shoot someone when confronted with physical altercation? If they do, then the public will be in trouble, living with the thought they could be shot for just arguing their side of the story. Law enforcement officers should be respected and trusted, not be turned into feared armed peace keepers...like third world nations. Whether in the hand of a perpetrator or law enforcement, a gun will kill...more ammunition fueling reasons to buy guns for protection from bad guys on both sides of the law. Perpetrators need to arm themselves... we don't need that kind of reasoning.
on August 2,2013 | 06:35AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
The video shows a physical confrontation. It's not like Elderts was standing and jawing with Deedy. Before he got shot, he was on top on Deedy.
on August 2,2013 | 07:51AM
Mypualani wrote:
Maybe you missed the part where Deedy Kicks Elderts to start the altercation, it's on the tape.
on August 2,2013 | 09:46AM
control wrote:
maybe you missed the part where elderts and medeiros really started the altercation with their racial tones. it's also on the tape.
on August 2,2013 | 12:08PM
hapaguy wrote:
So if you witness a local guy call a mainland guy a "h-a0le" then its ok for you to go over and kick the local guy?
on August 2,2013 | 01:05PM
control wrote:
guess in your world it is okay to use racial tones when speaking to others.
on August 2,2013 | 01:10PM
hapaguy wrote:
No its not ok to use racial epithets. As a young man I have lived in many places on the mainland and have been subjected to racism many times. Can you answer my question? If you witness a local guy call a mainland guy "H-a0le" or even "f--- h-a0le", is it ok for you to go over and kick him?
on August 2,2013 | 01:36PM
dsl wrote:
Sticks and Stones...
on August 2,2013 | 01:15PM
Publicbraddah wrote:
No, I didn't miss that either. Like I've said, this is about 2 idiots. But it was still a physical confrontation.
on August 2,2013 | 01:12PM
dsl wrote:
Agree!
on August 2,2013 | 01:14PM
Tarball wrote:
Elderts . . . . . typical "moke".
on August 2,2013 | 06:49AM
xxNOTxx wrote:
Elders might have been a typical "moke", Tarball, but he didn't deserve to be gunned down by Deedy.
on August 2,2013 | 07:14AM
control wrote:
a lot of these guys are trouble, instigating incidents just for kicks. unfortunately the pnk met up with a gun and got killed, small loss for hawaii.
on August 2,2013 | 07:52AM
Mypualani wrote:
Yeah small loss for Hawaii, but not to his family and loved ones, I know you are entitled to your opinions we all are, but maybe his family members might be reading some of these comments. I get a sense that you are not a cruel person control, but as we are all learning here words can hurt.
on August 2,2013 | 09:49AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Maybe they should have raised him better then to go around using the H word and starting fights. Words hurt.
on August 2,2013 | 11:23AM
hapaguy wrote:
Elderts didn't start the fight Deedy did. Haven't you been paying attention?
on August 2,2013 | 12:25PM
Fred01 wrote:
Are you that stupid?
on August 2,2013 | 01:25PM
hapaguy wrote:
oh Fred...what a cynical, lonely man you must be...I feel so sad for you......
on August 2,2013 | 01:54PM
control wrote:
know what you are saying but this whole case has been a shootout with one side blasting deedy for his actions, the other side blasting elderts. I'm not a cruel person but people are judging deedy based on what the prosecution wants people to see, many already decided and don't care what the defense has to say. unfortunate that deedy died but he had a big part in his own death.
on August 2,2013 | 12:13PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT control, mahalo nui nui for your reply. I get your point, I am very conflicted on this case as well, I know the kind of people that E/M are, believe me please. My own two sons (eldest manages a sports bar in Kailua ) had a few run in's with these E/others. So one would be correct in assuming that I should be glad that there is one less punk in this world. I can actually see my sons on both sides of this case. My sons are not as boisterous but when happy can be loud. The thing that scares me is one of my sons could have been Elderts and or Perrine. This is why I am so very very conflicted about this case, M Manslaughter to me would be a more appropriate charge to be sure. But because witnesses heard the Agent say that he was going to shoot Elderts they had to go with murder 2, I think the state would have loved to have a simple slam dunk like manslaughter but they have to go by the laws that are set.
on August 3,2013 | 12:07PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I wouldn't say it's a loss. Maybe a gain. One less useful person hanging around.
on August 2,2013 | 11:23AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
*useless
on August 2,2013 | 11:50AM
dsl wrote:
Wow Kailua - now you're stooping to the low end - you must be offended that people don't agree with you. Lord forbid you or one of your loved ones die and people make the same claims of your life. We all have opinions good or bad but most we should keep to ourselves
on August 2,2013 | 01:18PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Let's not pretend that Elderts was a great contribution to society. I knew him. I and everyone else that knew him knew it was only a matter of time.
on August 2,2013 | 04:43PM
Mypualani wrote:
Yeah maybe, but we or his family will never know will they? he was 23 years. he didn't even begin to live his life. But yeah I agree maybe he should have been raised right, but what is right? I raised my kids and hope everything I taught them sticks ! my eldest is 32 and youngest is 12 and when I hear them say or do something I know to be wrong I step in with the facts and sometimes craks, my kids are not bullies but two have been bullied in past years, I went to the school and took it to the parents and yes it is frustrating when as parents we try to make things right they don't always go that way, My solution sent my daughters to martial arts classes and my sons as well, but they don't go around acting up as far as I know, but I am not always with them. I guess it is too easy to put my own kids in Perrine's place and Elderts place. I guess that's what gets to me about this case.
on August 2,2013 | 01:27PM
lookup wrote:
If Deedy had not been holding on to his pistol maybe he would have been able to go up and up with Elderts and defent himself like a real man instead of like a Punk Agent trying to show off and play TANTADAN. 2 wrongs definately do not make a right. This was not selfdefense this was murder in my eyes so far as the evidance is presented. The truth will prevail...Hawaii laws are clear and not confussing as they are in other states.
on August 2,2013 | 11:23AM
Fred01 wrote:
You sound like another "local". Is it something in the water, or is the "culture" just that shallow?
on August 2,2013 | 01:26PM
Fred01 wrote:
I think Elderts deserved what he got.
on August 2,2013 | 01:24PM
Mypualani wrote:
I think you got what you deserve Fred .
on August 3,2013 | 12:10PM
jckh wrote:
Last time I checked "talking loudly" and "bullying" , did not warrant deadly force. Here comes the defense's legal magic.....
on August 2,2013 | 07:35AM
bigislandkurt wrote:
Contrary to what folks may believe, irritating smiles are not grounds for murder.
on August 2,2013 | 07:36AM
loquaciousone wrote:
There is Eldert's story and there is Deedy's story and the truth lies somewhere in between. There is no way the State can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was murder and they over charged because of public pressure.
on August 2,2013 | 07:37AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Absolutely correct. Take the FACTS into consideration. Don't read between the lines. Take into consideration testimony from witnesses not associated with either Deedy or Elderts.
on August 2,2013 | 07:54AM
control wrote:
publicbrah, the problem is that some people here are interpreting what is said and what is in the video as their FACTS when they are actually reading between the lines. the video is not a streaming video, only consisting of pictures taken every few seconds or every other second but people are trying to read into the video and coming to their own conclusions.
on August 2,2013 | 12:15PM
WooWoo wrote:
Loquacious one, your comment is concise and accurate. Others here seem to be much more loquacious than you.
on August 2,2013 | 09:18AM
Mypualani wrote:
what pressure was that? I love how you people come on here and make statements about the public, when this happened the case was investigated, evidence gathered and taken to the grand jury, please site a source for your public pressure. Because I didn't read or see anything alluding to your claims.
on August 2,2013 | 09:52AM
loquaciousone wrote:
cite
on August 2,2013 | 10:04AM
Mypualani wrote:
@ loquaciousone: Yeah what evah's! so can you cite your source for your claims of public pressure? btw thanks for your corrections. so where is your sources? Unless you too can read minds, but in your case that would be many minds.
on August 2,2013 | 11:23AM
loquaciousone wrote:
omniscient
on August 2,2013 | 12:00PM
loquaciousone wrote:
run on sentences
on August 2,2013 | 10:05AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Do you really need a source? They didn't even charge Deedy the night it happened. There were protests and outrage the next couple of days until the state folded and charged him.
on August 2,2013 | 11:24AM
hapaguy wrote:
Yes. If you are going to make an outrageous claim cite a source for that claim....
on August 2,2013 | 12:28PM
Mypualani wrote:
Really the only news I saw was Elderts family lawyer making an as a out of himself, talking about the case when the facts were not all in. also the person with the sign in the elevator with Deedy at the court house. I didn't see the outrage.
on August 2,2013 | 01:34PM
MKN wrote:
@Kailuaraised: It's usually standard procedure for the police to not charge right away. They have to gather evidence before they can formally charge someone and they have 48 hours to do it or the person in custody walks.
on August 2,2013 | 02:41PM
Mypualani wrote:
Kailuaraised knows this. Why ask questions you already know the answers to.
on August 3,2013 | 12:13PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
What? Eldert's story? If you haven't noticed, Eldert is dead. He is not here to tell his story. This is not about a truth that lies in between. This is about wading through all the claims and deciding what the facts are. As far a truth being in between, a truth is a truth is a truth. There is no in between when it comes to a truth. I think you confuse truth with the events that the jury will be coming to a conclusion to. It will be their job to weed through all the information and come up with the facts and make a decision based on these facts.
on August 2,2013 | 11:36AM
hapaguy wrote:
The Prosecutors office charged appropriately. Deedy was overheard to tell Elderts that "he was going to shoot him in the face" That's malice aforethought which is the definition of Murder 2 in Hawaii. If the HPD investigation showed that Deedy never had malice aforethought and Elderts was killed in the struggle in the "heat of the moment" with no malice then the Prosecutors office probably would have charged Deedy with manslaughter...
on August 2,2013 | 01:11PM
wiliki wrote:
So it looks like the detective was dead wrong.... he needs to go back to school. And Medeiros claim that he and Eldert was just "joking" with Pirrine is false, or maybe he was too drunk and high to know the difference.
on August 2,2013 | 07:42AM
control wrote:
after seeing snippets of medeiros his testimony was already suspect. he is just trying to cover his a by using the joking excuse. typical hothead local, while many see it as threatening, they see it as a joke.
on August 2,2013 | 08:06AM
wiliki wrote:
I wonder if the jurors are noting these inconsistencie?.
on August 2,2013 | 10:25AM
Waterman2 wrote:
DUMBSHT thought he was still in high school where some politically correct teacher would accept the "it was just a joke " plea. Indicates to me he been into this situation before and they didn't learn cuz our schools are a worse joke.
on August 2,2013 | 10:48AM
MKN wrote:
@control: What would you expect from a convicted drug dealer like Medeiros? I saw his court records on the state Hoohiki public court records database.
on August 2,2013 | 02:50PM