comscore Police fire shots at woman who allegedly tried to run them down | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Police fire shots at woman who allegedly tried to run them down

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now


A 26-year-old woman is behind bars pending two counts of first-degree attempted murder after she allegedly tried to run over two police officers in Kapahulu last night.

The suspect, Leinette K. Reyes, of no local address, was found and arrested about 1.5 miles away near Punahou School a short time later. She was charged yesterday with two counts of first-degree attempted murder, unauthorized control of a vehicle and violating the terms of her probation. She was being held on $20,000 bail.

Reyes sustained undisclosed, minor injuries. The officers were not injured.

Police said that at about 8:30 last night, members of the Waikiki patrol district’s Crime Reduction Unit were staking out an apartment frequented by a woman suspected in an auto theft that occurred in Makiki Wednesday.

When the suspect arrived in a vehicle, several officers were on foot, police said. The woman reversed the vehicle with the officers in pursuit. She then drove forward and toward two of the officers, police said.

Both officers fired two rounds each at the suspect, but she managed to flee, police said.

Police booking records show the suspect was arrested on the grounds of an apartment complex on Clement Street at about 8:40 p.m.

The shooting incident shook up residents of the clustered Date-Laau apartment district, and police shut down Laau Street for several hours as they investigated the scene.

Brandon Amituanai, 29, said he had stepped outside his unit onto the sidewalk to make a telephone call when he saw a red Volkswagen Beetle speeding in reverse.

“A group of people was yelling ‘Stop that car! Stop that car!’” as the Beetle sped past him, he said. 

When he stepped onto the roadway, the car shifted back into forward gear and he had to dash to the side to avoid being hit, Amituanai said.

Another witness, who asked not to be identified, said two other shots were fired at the Beetle farther down Laau Street.

Several witnesses said they saw a number of vehicles chase after the Beetle as it left the neighborhood.


Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up