comscore UH-Hilo fire extinguished before it can spread | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

UH-Hilo fire extinguished before it can spread

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

Hawaii County firefighters were able to put out a smoldering fire at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Sunday night before it had a chance to spread and cause greater damage, officials said.

Firefighters responded to a 7:02 p.m. alarm and found light smoke in the new campus gym. Campus security officers could not find the source of the smoke, but an investigation of surrounding buildings led to the discovery of the fire in an industrial gas dryer at the Physical Education Building.

The fire caused about $10,000 in damage to the dryer.

The fire was declared under control at 7:12 p.m. and put out a minute later.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up