About 50 people were evacuated from the Kauhale Nani public housing project in Wahiawa Friday morning after a 2,000-pound propane tank unexpectedly began venting.
The evacuation, which was initiated at 10:25 a.m., was called off 30 minutes after the situation stabilized.
Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman, said propane gas was venting from a pressure release valve, prompting the evacuation of the townhouse complex at 310 North Cane St.
Seelig said the tank had recently been refilled and rising temperatures caused the gas to expand as the tank heated up.
The tank stopped venting after the pressure had been equalized, Seelig said.
A examination disclosed that there had not been any malfunctions of the tank or the piping.
No one was injured.