comscore Electrical cord sparked fire that destroyed Pupukea home | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Electrical cord sparked fire that destroyed Pupukea home

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

The fire in Pupukea Thursday that destroyed a home on Alapio Road and displaced nine people was caused by an electrical malfunction in the cord of a floor lamp, the Honolulu Fire Department said.

Fire investigators have classified the cause as accidental. 

The fire began in a second-floor bedroom and was sparked by the electrical malfunction in the cord of the lamp. In additiion to destroying the home, the fire also destroyed four vehicles, one pick up truck, two sedans, and a motorcycle.

Damage was estimated at $250,000 to the structure, $50,000 to the contents, and $70,000 for the four vehicles, fire officials said.

The fire was reported at 12:10 a.m. and firefighters were able to completely extinguish it by 8:13 a.m.

No one was injured. 

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up