comscore Hawaii Kai fire caused by malfunctioning torch | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Hawaii Kai fire caused by malfunctioning torch

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A late-night fire destroyed a Hawaii Kai home Thursday, displacing five people.

No was injured in the fire at 366 Hanamaulu St., which also destroyed a vehicle in the home’s carport and caused superficial damage to a neighboring home, according to Honolulu Fire Department officials.

Firefighters were dispatched at 10:34 p.m., and the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. The blaze was brought under control at 10:59 p.m.

Fire investigators classified the cause as accidental. The fire began in a rear bedroom and was caused by a malfunction of a propane gas torch that was being used to light candles.

Damage is estimated at $560,000 to the structure and its contents. Damage to the vehicle, a Toyota sedan, is estimated at $20,000. Damage to the adjacent home is less than $1,000

Thirty-five firefighters from five engine and two ladder companies fought the blaze, according to fire officials.

Five persons were home at the time of the fire and escaped without injuries before firefighters arrived.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up