SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. >> Firefighters spent an hour rescuing a scared Arizona teenager from a chimney where he got stuck after getting locked out of his home.
Firefighters from Scottsdale, Phoenix and Tempe fire departments were ultimately able to pull the 13-year-old boy to safety from inside the home Tuesday night.
The boy, whose name was not released, had tied an extension cord to a vent to climb down the chimney, but he got stuck inside. Realizing he was trapped, he called 911.
Authorities later released a recording, with personal information redacted.
“I’m stuck in the chimney,” the boy told a 911 operator. “I was trying to get into my home.”
With police and firefighters en route, the boy told the operator that he was scared.
“I just want to get out,” he said at one point.
The operator reassured the boy.
“You’re just stuck. You’re not hurt and you’re not going to run out of air,” the operator said. “If it makes you feel better, just close your eyes. Try not to think about it. Just think of a big open field.”
While the rescue was underway, firefighters went up to the rooftop and into the house and used spotlights to light up the home.
They gave the boy a mask and goggles to protect him from dust disturbed by the removal process.
The boy’s mother’s wasn’t home at the time, but firefighters reached a family member to look after him for the evening.
At one point, the boy said he couldn’t believe he’d gotten stuck in the chimney.
“Yeah, it’s going to be an interesting story to tell your friends,” the operator responded.