comscore Judge sets June trial in 'Thunder From Down Under' shooting | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Judge sets June trial in ‘Thunder From Down Under’ shooting


  • Joey Kadmiri sat at his trial at Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas on July 8, 2014. (AP Photo/Las Vegas Review-Journal, Jeff Scheid,File)
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

LAS VEGAS » A Nevada judge set a June 22 trial date for a 25-year-old man accused of firing a gun while trying to steal costumes and props from "Thunder From Down Under" male revue cast members on the Las Vegas Strip.

The date set Tuesday by Senior Clark County District Judge Charles Thompson came after Joey Kadmiri was found mentally fit last month to face felony burglary, robbery, battery and weapon charges stemming from the March 2014 incident.

Kadmiri has pleaded not guilty. He could face decades in prison.

Kadmiri’s first trial ended in a mistrial last July after a juror reported seeing media reports of the proceedings.

Authorities say a 55-year-old cast member of the Australian-themed men’s revue was slightly injured by debris from a wall after Kadmiri fired a .44 Magnum handgun near the man’s head.

Several heavily muscled male dancers subdued Kadmiri until police arrived at the Excalibur Hotel and Casino. Kadmiri was left with a black eye and bruises.

A judge heading competency questions said in October that a doctor determined Kadmiri was faking mental illness to avoid a new trial.

The judge said court-ordered psychological evaluations from 2010, 2011 and earlier last year each found Kadmiri fit for trial.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up