comscore Malfunctioning battery causes $330,000 Kalihi warehouse fire | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Every act of aloha counts. Click here to DONATE to the MAUI RELIEF Fund.
Top News

Malfunctioning battery causes $330,000 Kalihi warehouse fire

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
    Firefighters helped the family of the owner of a warehouse at 2522 rose st. in Kalihi recover a stroller left behind after a fire broke out Monday.

A malfunctioning lithium battery located on the second floor storage room of a Kalihi warehouse on Rose Street was found to be the cause of a three-alarm Monday.

The battery, used to power a motorcycle, was not connected to anything at the time of the fire, said HFD spokesman Kendall Ching.

That fire caused an estimated $330,000 in total damage for the fire that struck the Wholesale Equipment warehouse. Of that, the fire caused an estimated $230,000 in damage to the structure and $100,000 to its contents.

Kelly Brezina, the 59-year-old owner who was inside the first floor office with his daughter, 23, and granddaughter, 20 months, when the fire broke out, was taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters had to carry out two elderly people from their home across the street due to the heavy smoke.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up