Firefighters extinguished a two-alarm residential structure fire in Palolo early today that was caused by an unattended lit cigarette.
The fire occurred at a two-story duplex located on the 3500 block of Keanu Street at about 5:21 a.m. Approximately 32 firefighters responded and quickly brought the fire under control at 5:38 a.m. The fire was extinguished at 6:02 a.m.
Ten people who were home at the time of the fire evacuated without any injuries, said Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. David Jenkins.
Jenkins said a resident was smoking a cigarette and fell asleep. The fire was isolated to a bedroom on the second-floor.
There were no smoke detectors in the home.
The estimated damage to the home has yet to be determined.
Jenkins reminded the public that every room in a home should have a smoke detector. It is also recommended that, should a fire occur, to close the bedroom door after evacuating to help contain the fire.