comscore Champ Werdum says he’s pulling out of UFC 196 title fight | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Sports Breaking

Champ Werdum says he’s pulling out of UFC 196 title fight

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Fabricio Werdum landed a shot on Travis “Hapa” Browne during their heavyweight fight in April 2014. Werdum won a unanimous decision.

LOS ANGELES » Heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum says he is pulling out of his title fight at UFC 196 on Feb. 6.

Werdum announced his decision through social media today, one day after Stipe Miocic replaced Cain Velasquez as Werdum’s opponent at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The UFC didn’t immediately confirm Werdum’s decision or announce a replacement fight for the main event of its traditional Super Bowl weekend pay-per-view show.

Werdum says he has a foot injury and a back injury, but planned to go through with his rematch against Velasquez. Werdum beat Velasquez last year to claim the title.

Velasquez dropped out of the fight Sunday, citing a back injury. He was swiftly replaced by Miocic, a veteran contender who beat Andrei Arlovski by opening-minute knockout last month.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up