comscore Maui man accidentally starts fire that destroys his home | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Maui man accidentally starts fire that destroys his home

A 65-year-old man using a shop vacuum to remove fuel from a power generator started a fire that destroyed his home in Kula today, Maui firefighters said.

The man was removing the fuel from the generator outside his home on Keanuhea Place in Keokea about 8:10 a.m. when the fuel ignited and the fire spread to the rest of his home, said a Maui Fire Department spokesman.

The man’s wife was not home at the time, and the man escaped with minor injuries.

The 1,200-square foot, one-story home was destroyed and damage was estimated at $225,000 to the structure, its contents, and a vehicle parked outside the home.

Maui firefighters urged homeowners to exercise caution when using portable power generators around their homes.

There have been several instances where portable generators being used to power homes started destructive house fires on Maui, firefighters said.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comment (1)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

  • The caution against using a shop vac to vacuum flammable vapors and fluids was probably printed towards the back of the vacuum cleaner’s instruction manual.

Scroll Up