comscore Palestinian plane bomber seeks release pending deportation | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Palestinian plane bomber seeks release pending deportation


    Mohammed Rashed, center, convicted of the 1982 PanAm jetliner bombing, listened to his interpreter, left, during his Dec. 1991 appeals court hearing in Athens, Greece. Rashed is expected to appear today in a Buffalo courtroom in his bid for release.

BUFFALO, N.Y. » The United States has a “concrete plan” to deport a Jordanian-born Palestinian who put a bomb on a passenger flight in 1982, a government lawyer said today, arguing he should stay in custody until then because he remains a terrorist threat.

An attorney for Mohammed Rashed called the claim “another in a long line of delay tactics” by the government and argued for Rashed’s immediate release from immigration custody, where he has been since finishing a prison sentence in early 2013.

Both sides want Rashed removed from the United States, the lawyers told U.S. District Judge Richard Arcara, who did not immediately rule on whether Rashed should remain locked up in the meantime. Rashed is being held at a federal detention facility outside Buffalo.

U.S. Department of Justice lawyer Christopher Dempsey said in court the Rashed case is “absolutely a front-burner case.”

“The government is really prioritizing this case and has a concrete plan in place,” he said.

He said a Department of State working group would focus for the next 30 days on long-running efforts to have Rashed sent to his stated destination of choice, the West Bank. If that falls through, officials would move to a Plan B with hopes of identifying five other options by the end of June, he said.

Rashed pleaded guilty in 2002 to setting off a bomb on Hawaii-bound Pan Am Flight 830, killing a Japanese teenager and injuring 15 other people. As part of the plea agreement, the government said it would work to deport Rashed to the country of his choice after he finished serving his sentence on murder and conspiracy charges.

But efforts to deport Rashed have stalled amid diplomatic complications. Dempsey said a Department of State official plans to raise the case during an upcoming visit to Israel, which controls access into and out of the territory.

Rashed’s attorney Robert Tucker called the prolonged post-prison detention unconstitutional and said a Washington, D.C., halfway house where Rashed has support would be “the perfect place for him.”

“He’s entitled to be released today,” Tucker said. “He’s been entitled to be released for a long, long time.”

Rashed was not in court for the hearing.

Tucker asked the judge to require government updates on removal efforts every one or two months to ensure things move forward. He said freeing Rashed in the meantime would speed the process.

Dempsey said the directors of the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security have weighed in and, “There’s just no way the government is comfortable with Mr. Rashed being out on the streets under any conditions.”

Rashed was a top lieutenant to Abu Ibrahim, a Palestinian bomb maker who formed 15 May, a terrorist faction that took responsibility for several attacks in the 1980s. In 1982, Rashed, on a flight to Japan, tucked a bomb beneath a seat cushion, pulled the pin, engaged a timer and then disembarked when his flight landed in Tokyo. The device exploded as the plane continued on to Honolulu, killing the 16-year-old boy who sat in Rashed’s seat on the flight’s next leg.

Rashed was arrested in Greece in 1988 and was prosecuted there. He was released in 1996 but was arrested in 1998 by U.S. authorities in another country and was sent to Washington for prosecution.

Besides the Pan Am bombing, Rashed has admitted involvement in four other bombings or attempted bombings, Dempsey said.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Comments (7)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

    • Cut a deal in 2001 after 9/11. He was scheduled to go to court in October of 2001. Lawyers told him to cut a deal. He did and in his plea agreement disclosed how they did it. He is not the bomb maker, only the planter. HPD Bomb squad along with FBI conducted that investigation, first of its kind here in Honolulu.

  • A military court would have convicted him to life imprisonment? Bleeding hearts prevailed and gave him a light sentence. Jurisdictional dispute who should determine where he will be deported to? Typical results of liberal politics.

    • Yes if it was after 9/11. The original bombing took place August 11, 1982. These guys were considered Terrorist-criminals. Ex post facto. He was charged in the 1980s, captured by Greeks in the 90’s for other terrorist acts, released from Greek custody in 1998. No extradition treaty with Greece but shared intelligence, ended up in US hands, then to New York. Was suppose to stand trial in New York in October of 2001, had 36 lawyers representing him. When 9/11 occurred, lawyers told him to work out a plea deal. FBI served one of my sergeants(HPD) with a Federal subpoena, he was an HPD Bomb Squad guy that worked on that Bombing, Pan AM flight 830.

  • The guy should have been executed for his crime, but since he was not, he should have been sentence to life without parole. He is a career terrorists and should never be released. Guantanamo was made for guys like this.

Scroll Up