comscore Ewa Beach man charged in H-1 road rage incident | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Ewa Beach man charged in H-1 road rage incident

  • HONOLULU POLICE DEPARTMENT

    Mark Char was arrested and charged in Monday’s road rage incident.

Prosecutors charged a 58-year-old Ewa Beach man tonight with stabbing three men in a road-rage incident on the H-1 freeway.

Mark Char, of Halolani Street, was charged with second-degree attempted murder, second-degree assault, and third-degree assault. His bail was set at $2 million.

The triple stabbing happened about 3:20 p.m. Monday in the shoulder of the Waianae-bound lanes near the Kunia exit.

A witness said he saw a red Camaro stop in the shoulder and a white car pull up behind. Two men exited the white car and one man get out of the Camaro. The two men chased the man from the Camaro and began punching him. The witness said another driver stopped and went to help, but retreated, saying the man from the Camaro had stabbed him in the hand and stabbed the other two men, one in the stomach and the other in the arm.

The driver who was stabbed in the hand drove himself to the hospital. Paramedics treated the other two men, ages 22 and 23, and took them to the hospital, one in critical and one in serious condition.

Police said the younger man remained in critical condition Tuesday. Family of the other man said he was released from the hospital today.

Police closed two H-1 lanes for about five hours to investigate and the closure caused major traffic delays that stretched back to Aiea.

Char allegedly fled the scene with a woman in his car and went back to his house where police negotiated with him to surrender. Char came out more than two hours later.

Char has a history of alleged traffic-related problems and harassment of others. A neighbor said Char’s constant calls to police about parking led to a city law this year loosening parking regulations on his street.

He is also awaiting trial on three separate felony cases, including another road-rage type incident in June. He was charged with second-degree assault and fourth-degree criminal property damage in that incident and was released after posting $50,000 bond.

He is awaiting trial for a first-degree terroristic threatening case in connection with a home barricade incident with police in 2013. He posted $25,000 bond in that case.

His third felony trial is for a first-degree negligent injury case after he allegedly injured a motorcyclist while driving his truck in a negligent manner. Char was convicted in that case, but the conviction was overturned because of a delay in the trial. An appeals court overturned that decision last year, and Char is scheduled to be retried in November.

Comments (26)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

  • I guess if he was like the rest of us who posted on this comment I guess we would let 2 guys beat us up and do nothing about it. especially if you have your wife and girlfriend in the car.the guy was wrong but what would you do if two guys chased you and started beating you up.

        • He actually rear ended the two guys in the car. He then allegedly pointed his finger at the driver motioning that he would shoot the driver. So you are the type of guy that would antagonize to men and then get out of your car the safety of your car to confront them. Something wrong with your brain. Char was not an innocent victim being chased by 2 guys.

    • Yes and no. From what I read Char would purposely drive only 30mph is his Camaro on the H1 freeway causing a traffic jam behind him. Many get mad but appears these two guys wanted to tune up Char and willingly pulled over the side of the freeway with Char to try to beat him up, two against one. What they did’t know is Char is nuts and had no hesitation using a knife to stab his two attackers. This situation is similar to the Deedy- Elderts confrontation where there are no innocent victims.

    • Not pull over in the first place and get out the car to initiate a road rage incident like he clearly has a habit of doing? Not act all tanteran like he’s the bull of the island? Look at his picture from couple years ago versus today and tell me batu neva took its toll. Legend in his own mind this lolo.

    • This is not a very insightful comment. Nobody forced Mr. Char to pull over on the side of the freeway and then get out of his car and then stab a good Samaritan. Kinda hard to claim “self-defense” or protection of his loved ones when he put himself in that situation to start.

  • too much leniency in SOH Justice System–people commit crimes and get to walk away w/ a slap on the wrist–that is what happens you have a 1 party state–that one party puts liberal judges in courts that care for the criminal and not the victims–so what do you have cooks and nuts running around–committing crime and getting off easy…..One party state people–no justice in a One party state—-I agree w/ previous post–take out the trash

  • There’s a problem here. Two on one. Any lawyer worth his salt would scream “Self-defense!”. Sure, both parties chose to stop and get out of their cars to confront each other. But the fact remains, Two on one.

  • $2 million is pretty high bail. If he could get a bondsman to touch it, he would have to pledge at least $200,000 in cash/property. Should keep him safely shut up for a while.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up