There were no injuries in a small fire in a closet at a health care facility in Makiki this morning.
Shortly before 7 a.m., 35 firefighters responded to the Hale Nani Rehabilitation and Nursing Center at 1677 Pensacola St.
The Honolulu Fire Department reported smoke emanating from a exhaust vent of the four-story building. The smoke was coming from a utility closet on the second floor.
Honolulu Fire Capt. David Jenkins said the source of the smoke was a smoldering electrical fire from an exhaust fan motor that appeared to have malfunctioned and burned out. Firefighters brought the fire under control.
Hale Nani issued a written statement from a public relations agency.
“There was no fire this morning,” the statement said. “The Honolulu Fire Department was called after an employee witnessed smoke coming out of a janitor’s closet. Residents and employees at Hale Nani were never in any danger, the situation was quickly assessed and daily operations continue as normal today.”