A fire believed to be caused by an unattended candle destroyed a home in Hanapepe early today.
At approximately 5 a.m., firefighters responded to the fire that occurred at the single-story structure located at Awawa Road. Fire crews arrived to a blaze that fully engulfed the three-bedroom home, according to a news release by the Kauai Fire Department.
A resident inside the home awoke to the crackling sounds from the fire and was able to escape. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters extinguished the fire at approximately 6:30 a.m. The fire department said the home is considered “a total loss.” Investigators believe an unattended candle in one of the bedrooms caused the blaze.
Damage to the structure and its contents is estimated at $100,000.
The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced resident.