comscore New O’Reilly claims said to make return to Fox less likely | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Features | Top News

New O’Reilly claims said to make return to Fox less likely

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Bill O’Reilly attends The Hollywood Reporter’s “35 Most Powerful People in Media” celebration in New York in April 2016.

Fresh allegations this week of misconduct by Fox News host Bill O’Reilly have reduced the likelihood that he’ll return to the network, though Fox has yet to make a final decision on his future, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Pressure is rising on Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox Inc., the parent of the conservative-leaning news network, to make a decision on O’Reilly’s fate as advertisers flee his show. O’Reilly, the channel’s most popular host, pulls in tens of millions of dollars a year in ad revenue. The network has said he’ll return to his show April 24 after a previously scheduled vacation.

Fox has said that law firm Paul Weiss is investigating the claims. The company declined to comment. The TV host’s lawyer promised to unveil evidence that far-left organizations are behind the rash of sexual-harassment allegations against his client.

The “smear campaign” by the groups has led to a “character assassination” not seen since McCarthyism, attorney Marc E. Kasowitz said in a statement. “Irrefutable” proof to back up his claims is forthcoming, he said.

The New York Times published a report earlier this month that claimed O’Reilly made sexually charged remarks and overtures to at least five female employees whose complaints the network or the TV host settled out of court. The uproar is a distraction at a time when Fox is trying to secure regulatory clearance for its $14.6 billion acquisition of Sky Plc.

As protesters gathered outside the entrance to Fox News’s New York headquarters Tuesday, attorney Lisa Bloom tweeted that she’s representing a woman who has new complaints of sexual and racial harassment by O’Reilly. In a separate statement, Kasowitz called the allegation outrageous. “There is obviously an orchestrated campaign by activists and lawyers to destroy Mr. O’Reilly and enrich themselves through publicity driven donations,” he said.

Murdoch and his two sons, Fox Chairman Lachlan Murdoch and Chief Executive Officer James Murdoch, are leaning toward announcing O’Reilly won’t return, New York Magazine reported Tuesday. The Fox board will meet Thursday, and O’Reilly will be a primary topic, CNN reported.

Kasowitz is an experienced trial lawyer who has represented financial firms such as ACA Financial and MBIA. And for the last 15 years, according to his website, he’s advised another prominent figure in a wide range of litigation matters: President Donald Trump.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up