comscore Charging car battery causes $562K damage to Hawaii Kai home | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Charging car battery causes $562K damage to Hawaii Kai home

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

A fire in Hawaii Kai that originated with a 12-volt automotive battery being charged injured one man and caused an estimated $562,000 in damage on Friday.

The fire was reported at 8:55 a.m. and the Honolulu Fire Department responded with 11 units staffed with 43 personnel.

The first HFD personnel arrived at 9:02 a.m. to find the garage of the two-story Poipu Drive home fully engulfed with fire extending to the rest of the structure.

The fire was brought under control at 9:12 a.m. and was fully extinguished by 10:03 a.m.

An 65-year-old man who was working in the garage when the fire started sustained second-degree burns to his upper body, according to an Emergency Medical Services report. He was treated at the scene and transported to an unspecified medical facility for further care.

Fire investigators determined that the fire was accidental. Damage was estimated at $370,000 to the structure and $192,000 to its contents.

Comments (10)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up