comscore Eastern Congo residents worried amid new Ebola case | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Eastern Congo residents worried amid new Ebola case

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS
                                Medical workers walk outside the Butsili health center in Beni, eastern Congo. A case of Ebola has been confirmed after a child died and tested positive at the hospital, according to the country’s Health Ministry and the National Institute of Biomedical Research, about five months after the country declared an end to the last outbreak that killed six people in the region.

    ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Medical workers walk outside the Butsili health center in Beni, eastern Congo. A case of Ebola has been confirmed after a child died and tested positive at the hospital, according to the country’s Health Ministry and the National Institute of Biomedical Research, about five months after the country declared an end to the last outbreak that killed six people in the region.

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS
                                Patients wait outside to be treated at the Butsili health center in Beni, eastern Congo. A case of Ebola has been confirmed after a child died and tested positive at the hospital, according to the country’s Health Ministry and the National Institute of Biomedical Research, about five months after the country declared an end to the last outbreak that killed six people in the region.

    ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Patients wait outside to be treated at the Butsili health center in Beni, eastern Congo. A case of Ebola has been confirmed after a child died and tested positive at the hospital, according to the country’s Health Ministry and the National Institute of Biomedical Research, about five months after the country declared an end to the last outbreak that killed six people in the region.

BENI, Congo >> Residents of the eastern Congolese city of Beni expressed concern today, after receiving the news that a new case of Ebola was confirmed only five months since the country declared an end to the last outbreak that killed six people in the region.

The case was registered in eastern Congo, according to the country’s Health Ministry and the National Institute of Biomedical Research.

A child of nearly 3 years old was sent to the Butsili hospital in Beni after presenting various symptoms related to Ebola. He died on Oct. 6 and tested positive for Ebola, according to the research institute and the ministry which made the announcement Friday.

About 100 people who may have been exposed have been identified and will be monitored, according to the ministry.

Ebola survivor Maurice Mutsunga hopes Congo’s experience with the disease will help to contain its spread quickly.

“When an epidemic starts, people tend to neglect, to minimize, to doubt the existence of the epidemic. And that’s what cost us a lot” Mutsunga said. “People are already enough informed about Ebola and we believe that people will work with the response teams to bring the epidemic under control” he added.

Less optimistic, others are afraid there could be a new outbreak as the nation has a struggling health care system that is also dealing with other issues.

“I’m concerned and I have fear because with Ebola, COVID-19 and insecurity. We don’t know how to live in Beni. Beni is no longer livable,” said resident Joel Mambo.

According to the World Health Organization, Butsili was one of the epicenters of the 2018—2020 Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo, considered the second deadliest in the world killing nearly 2,300 people.

In a statement WHO said it’s collaborating with the local authorities to investigate the new Ebola case, adding that it’s not “unusual” for sporadic cases to occur following a major outbreak.

It was not immediately known if the new case is related to the 2018-2020 outbreak or to the outbreak earlier this year that killed six people over a few months. Congo has experienced 12 recorded Ebola outbreaks since the virus was first discovered in the conflict-ridden country in 1976.

Comments (1)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up