The Maui Fire Department concluded that a warehouse fire Tuesday in Makawao was accidental.
The fire had been caused by metals that had been heated during a welding project and left unattended, said Chris Stankis, MFD acting information officer.
The blaze caused an estimated $6,500 damage to the structure and $3,000 to its contents.
The structure is described as a small, single-story warehouse on Pau Hana Road.
A 79-year-old man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and released.
The warehouse fire was called in at 11:15 a.m. Four MFD units responded, extinguished the blaze and concluded operations at 12:51 p.m.