comscore Man accused in Makakilo slaying indicted by grand jury | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Man accused in Makakilo slaying indicted by grand jury


  • Honolulu police released this mugshot of Royce Gouveia
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

An Oahu Grand jury today indicted the 27-year-old Makaha man charged with manslaughter in the death of a 29-year-old Makakilo man.

Royce Gouveia was charged Oct. 2  with manslaughter in the death of Albert Meyer.

Meyer died Saturday at a local hospital after Gouveia allegedly hit him once in the back of the head in front of a Makakilo home Sept. 27, according to a witness.

Gouveia is being held in Oahu Community Correctional Center unable to post $250,000 bail.

He also was charged Oct. 2  with second-degree assault, kidnapping, first-degree terroristic threatening and abuse of a family or household member that allegedly occurred last month.

Police said he allegedly tried to strangle his ex-girlfriend and allegedly tried to cut her on the head with a knife. Police said Gouveia and the 26-year-old woman have a child together.

Gouveia allegedly entered the woman’s home while she slept on Sept. 6, allegedly grabbed two kitchen knives and threatened her with them, then allegedly repeatedly strangled her over a period of two hours and dropped a knife on her head causing a cut.

A preliminary hearing of that case is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Friday in District Court.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments have been disabled for this story...

Scroll Up