comscore Former pro surfer charged with holding man’s head under water off Waikiki | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Former pro surfer charged with holding man’s head under water off Waikiki

  • John “Johnny Boy” Gomes on the beach after the first heat of the Quicksilver Eddie Aikau at Waimea Bay in Jan. 2007. (Star-Advertiser file)

A 50-year-old McCully man was charged last week with holding another man’s head under water off Waikiki Beach, police said.

John “Johnny Boy” Gomes was charged with third-degree assault on Saturday and posted $2,000 bail, according to Hawaii News Now.

Gomes eliminated then-five-time world champion Kelly Slater, and went on to win the Pipe Masters in 1997, the same year he broke the nose of another surfer at Chun’s Reef during an altercation.

Police said Gomes got in an argument with a 56-year-old man around 11 a.m. Thursday when the dispute became physical and culminated with Gomes holding the man’s head under water.

Gomes fled before police arrived, but was arrested the next day at his Kalakaua Avenue home for investigation of second-degree attempted murder. The charge was later downgraded to an assault.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (61)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Scroll Up