Lightning started an electrical fire that caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to a home Friday in Hawaiian Paradise Park, Hawaii island firefighters said.
The lightning bolt struck the ground near the back patio of a single-family home on 30th Avenue at about 3:35 p.m.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the rear patio and police putting out a stove fire with a fire extinguisher.
Firefighters removed the stove, shut off the gas line, and turned off the breaker switches.
One person was home at the time and was not injured.
Firefighters estimated the damage at $2,500.