comscore Forecasters predict 5 to 8 tropical cyclones for 2019 Central Pacific hurricane season | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Every act of aloha counts. Click here to DONATE to the MAUI RELIEF Fund.
Top News

Forecasters predict 5 to 8 tropical cyclones for 2019 Central Pacific hurricane season

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
  • Video courtesy Central Pacific Hurricane Center

    The Central Pacific Hurricane Center held a press conference on Facebook Live on Thursday to discuss the upcoming hurricane season, starting June 1. Watch the full press conference for their predictions and advice.

Central Pacific Hurricane Center officials predict that the region will see 5 to 8 tropical cyclones during the hurricane season that starts June 1.

They forecast 5 to 8 tropical cyclones for the Central Pacific, which is above the average of 4 to 5 storms.

Current El Nino conditions mean the water around Hawaii and along the equator is warmer than usual and wind shear is diminished, meaning a better environment for tropical cyclones to form, forecasters said.

CPHC officials said there is a 70% chance of an above-normal hurricane season, 20% chance for a normal season, and 10% chance for a below-normal season.

In their annual outlook news conference, forecasters cautioned Hawaii residents to get prepared now for the upcoming season, which goes through Nov. 30.

In the 2018 season, six tropical cyclones either formed or moved into the Central Pacific, including the powerful Hurricane Lane which dumped more than 50 inches of rain on parts of the Big Island and passed just south of Oahu.


The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced its outlook for the 2019 Central Pacific hurricane season today.

Click here to watch the full NOAA news conference.

Comments (33)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up