comscore U.S. not pulling troops out of Iraq, Defense Secretary Mark Esper says | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

U.S. not pulling troops out of Iraq, Defense Secretary Mark Esper says

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS
                                Secretary of Defense Mark Esper delivered a statement Dec. 29 on Iraq and Syria, at President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago property in Palm Beach, Fla. Esper told reporters today that the U.S. is not pulling troops out of Iraq.

    ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Secretary of Defense Mark Esper delivered a statement Dec. 29 on Iraq and Syria, at President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago property in Palm Beach, Fla. Esper told reporters today that the U.S. is not pulling troops out of Iraq.

WASHINGTON >> The U.S. has made no decision about withdrawing troops from Iraq, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said today in response to a letter from a senior military officer that appeared to suggest a withdrawal was underway.

Esper told reporters today that the U.S. is not pulling troops out of Iraq.

He said he didn’t know anything about a letter that appears to suggest some preparation of troops to move out of Iraq. But he said there has been some repositioning of U.S. forces.

“There’s been no decision whatsoever to leave Iraq,” he said, adding, “There’s no decision to leave, nor did we issue any plans to leave or prepare to leave.” He said the U.S. remains committed to the campaign to defeat the Islamic State group in Iraq and the region.

A letter sent today to the Iraqi government from a commander in Iraq said troops would be “repositioning over the course of the coming days and weeks to prepare for onward movement.”

The letter said there would be an increase in helicopter travel around the Green Zone and said, “We respect your sovereignty decision to order our departure.”

Pro-Iran factions in the Iraqi Parliament have pushed to oust American troops following the killing of a top Iranian general in Baghdad in a U.S. drone strike last week.

A U.S. national security official dismissed the letter.

“This is not a movement of U.S. forces out of the country,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The official, who was not authorized to discuss the letter publicly, said the letter did not accurately portray the reason for the temporary redeployment of troops and contractors from Baghdad’s Green Zone.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Comments (47)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up