comscore HFD: Kailua home fire caused by electrical wire failure | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

HFD: Kailua home fire caused by electrical wire failure

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
  • STAR-ADVERTISER
                                The fire that broke out Monday at a single-story residential home at 436 Uluniu St., Unit B, in Kailua, has been classified as accidental. HFD determined it was due to an electrical wire failure in a storage room.

    STAR-ADVERTISER

    The fire that broke out Monday at a single-story residential home at 436 Uluniu St., Unit B, in Kailua, has been classified as accidental. HFD determined it was due to an electrical wire failure in a storage room.

The Honolulu Fire Department has determined a house fire in Kailua on Monday afternoon was caused by an electrical wire failure in a storage room.

The HFD investigator has classified the fire as accidental.

Honolulu firefighters responded to a 911 call just after noon on Monday for a fire at 436 Uluniu St., Unit B, a single-story home tucked behind the commercial Uluniu Arts Building, which offers a mix of space for a restaurant, home decor shop, and offices near the corner of Oneawa street.

Nine units with about 34 personnel responded.

The smoke could be seen billowing out over nearby Oneawa Street, and between Jack in the Box and Walgreens.

Firefighters brought the fire under control at 12:21 p.m. The fire was fully extinguished at 1:35 p.m.

HFD said all occupants exited the building safely on their own, and no injuries were reported.

Estimated damages are $160,000 to the property and $20,000 to the contents.

Comments (2)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up