POSTED: 1:30 a.m. HST, Feb 19, 2011
The return of Dick Tomey to the University of Hawaii as an assistant football coach this week has touched off a wave of Rainbows-era nostalgia.
Heck, even Bob Wagner, a Tomey assistant and successor as head coach, was on campus for Thursday's introductory press conference.
But while most people know of Tomey's decade-long tenure at UH (1977-86) and enshrinement in the Circle of Honor, how much about his stay do you really remember after nearly a quarter-century absence?
In honor of Tomey's return — and as a refresher course — we offer an installment of Tomey Trivia.
So, grab a pen and see how you measure up.
1. Tomey's favorite sport — and the one he played in college — is:
A. Football B. Basketball C. Baseball D. Lacrosse
2. Tomey led UH to its network TV debut in 1979 playing:
A. BYU B. West Virginia C. Temple D. USC
3. Tomey's early coaching mentor was:
A. Woody Hayes B. Bo Schembechler C. Forest Evashevski D. Emory Bellard
4. Of these UH players, whose father did not play for Tomey?
A. Beau Yap (Boyd) B. Liko Satele (Alvis) C. Leroy Lutu (Leroy) D. London Sapolu (Jesse)
5. To toughen up his players one year, Tomey brought in:
A. Arnold Schwarznegger to pump them up B. Jack LaLanne to work them out C. Jim Ryun to run them D. Tony Robbins for a walk on hot coals
6. In 1979 Tomey was in danger of missing a road game because:
A. He went jogging over the border into Mexico without a passport B. He fell off a horse in Wyoming C. LaVell Edwards got him a late tee time in Provo D. The bus broke down on the way to Colorado State
7. Tomey is expected to be paid in the neighborhood of $100,000 at UH this season. What was his original salary as head coach:
A. $59,999 B. $33,500 C. $62,700 D. $ 39,452
8. Tomey has been the all-time winningest head coach at two schools. What were they?
A. UH and San Jose State B. Arizona and DePauw C. UH and Arizona. D. UH and DePauw
9. Trailing 19-0 in the first quarter of a home game against Wyoming in 1986, Tomey started the team on the way to a 35-19 win by:
A. Calling time out and going after the officials B. Calling time out and holding a sideline "chat" with his team C. Calling time out and installing the wishbone D. Going down to the end of the bench to take a seat
10. Tomey did an insurance commercial on TV that utilized the phrase:
A. Bear down B. Apples and oranges C. Cool moss D. Beat BYU
11. Tomey's son Richie was widely known at UH games for:
A. Getting Gatorade for his father B. Running out to get the kicking tee C. Waving a towel and leading chants D. Carrying his father's headset cord
12. Tomey famously used to say he just wanted:
A. A chance to win in the fourth quarter B. An opportunity to punt C. To be able to play goal-line defense after giving up a big play D. Charter flights
Answers: 1. (c); 2. (c); 3. (b); 4. (c); 5. (d); 6. (a); 7. (b); 8. (c); 9. (b); 10 (b); 11. (d); 12. (a, b and c)
Reach Ferd Lewis at email@example.com.