Quantcast
  

Tuesday, April 15, 2014         

KAUAKŪKALAHALE


 Print   Email   Comment | View 25 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Ahuwale ka 'ohe o uka

Na Laiana Wong

POSTED:



Synopsis: The bamboo of the upland can be seen by all. You say 30-meter telescope as if it is a good thing. Can we all see through it?

Aloha mai nō kākou e nā hoa makamaka e kāko'o nei i ka mana'o ho'ōla 'ōlelo Hawai'i. 'A'ole nō i hala i ko kākou mau maka ia mea he ho'okae 'ōlelo. Ua ahuwale ho'i ka pāpā 'ia o ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i 'a'ole e a'o 'ia ma loko o nā kula aupuni. A ua lilo ia i mea e emi loa ai ka nui o ka po'e 'ōlelo Hawai'i a 'ane'ane make kā kākou 'ōlelo makuahine.

I ka Pō'akahi nei, ua kupu hou mai kēia 'ano hihia ho'okae 'ōlelo. 'O ka mea 'āpiki na'e, 'o ka 'ōlelo haole kai ho'okae 'ia, a ua kū'ē 'ia na'e ma muli o kona mana'o Hawai'i.

Aia ma waho o ka hale kahiko o Ka Leo, ka mea e hō'ano hou 'ia nei, ua kūkulu 'ia he pā lā'au no ka palekana o nā haumāna e kā'alo'alo ana i mua ona. Ua 'ae 'ia kekahi mau hui haumāna e pena i mau ki'i nui ma luna o ia pā. I ka hopena pule nei, hele nui akula nā haumāna Hawai'i a me kekahi mau kumu no ke pena ‘ana i kekahi ki'i nui e hō'ike ana iā Mauna a Wākea (Mauna Kea) e kū kilakila ana i luna, a me nā kānaka Hawai'i e mūia ana ma lalo. Eia hou, ua kākau 'ia kekahi mau hua'ōlelo, ma ka namu haole na'e, e kū'ē ana i ka mana'o o ke Kulanui o Hawai'i e kūkulu i kekahi 'ohe nānā nunui ma luna o ia mauna kapu.

I ka ho'i 'ana mai o nā haumāna i ke kula ma ka Pō'akahi, kāhāhā, ua kā'ele 'ia ua mau hua'ōlelo nei a ua pena 'ia mai kekahi mau hua'ōlelo e ho'olaha ana i kekahi papahana e mālama 'ia ana e Ka Leo; ma ia wahi ho'okahi nō! Ua ho'ohuoi 'ia na kekahi limahana o Ka Leo ia hana i lawelawe malū ma mua o ke kakahiaka Pō'akahi. Wahi a ka waha'ōlelo o ke kulanui, i ke noi 'ana a ka hui haumāna i wahi ma ka pā e pena ai i kā lākou ki'i, 'a'ole i hō'ike 'ia ko lākou mana'o e pena pū aku i kēlā mau hua'ōlelo kū'ē.

He mea nui ia 'ohe no ke kulanui. He mea kōkua nui ho'i i ke a'o kilo hōkū. I ka mana'o o ke Kulanui, he mea waiwai maoli nō kēia e māhuahua ai ka 'ike o nā kānaka a pau. Eia hou ho'i, he kālā a he kaulana ke hō'ea mai ana kekahi. No laila, i ka mana'o o ka po'e kū'ē, he mea ho'ohaumia wale nō kēlā 'ohe nui i ka 'āina kapu, no ka mea, e lilo ana kēia mea nānā aku i mea pupuka e nānā nui 'ia mai. Eia hou, ua ke'ehi 'ia ko lākou pono siwila e hō'ike ai i ko lākou mana'o i mua o ke ākea. 'A'ole kā i kā'ele 'ia kekahi ki'i o nā hale kilo hōkū e kau mai ana ma kahi paia e pili koke mai ana nō.

I ka Pō'alua nei, ho'okahi wale nō lā ma hope o ka ho'onalo 'ia o ko lākou mana'o, ua huliāmahi nā haumāna, ma kahi o 300, i mua o ke ki'i, a ma hope o kekahi mau ha'i'ōlelo hō'eu'eu, ua kaka'i pū aku i ka hale hou o Ka Leo o Hawai'i no ke koikoi 'ana i nā luna o ia nūpepa e mihi mai i mua o ka po'e nāna i pa'u aku a pī ka 'amo ma ke pena 'ana i ia ki'i.

Ke kuhi nei au ē 'a'ole paha e kā'ele 'ia kēlā mau hua inā he mea ho'ohanohano ia i ke Kulanui. No laila, eia mai kahi nīnau wāhi pūniu: Pehea lā ke 'ano o kahi nūpepa i kapa 'ia 'o Ka Leo o Hawai'i ke pepehi mai 'o ia i ka leo o nā Hawai'i?

E ho'ouna 'ia mai na ā leka iā māua, 'o ia ho'i 'o Laiana Wong a me Kekeha Solis ma ka pahu leka uila ma lalo nei:

» kwong@hawaii.edu
» rsolis@hawaii.edu

a i ‘ole ia, ma ke kelepona:

» 956-2627 (Laiana)
» 956-2627 (Kekeha)

This column is coordinated by Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 25 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(25)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Ken_Conklin wrote:
"Pehea lā ke 'ano o kahi nūpepa i kapa 'ia 'o Ka Leo o Hawai'i ke pepehi mai 'o ia i ka leo o nā Hawai'i?" Really? It seems to me that the voices of the ethnic Hawaiian rabble rousers are the loudest and most nasty voices heard not only at UH Manoa but also in the newspaper "Ka Leo o Hawai'i", not only on the issue of the Mauna Kea telescopes but on all controversies.

And by the way, so far as I know there is no bamboo anywhere near the top of Mauna Kea.


on October 19,2013 | 03:21AM
DiverDave wrote:
Perhaps what we should do is all listen to the voices of the Polynesian-Hawaiian elders like Queen Regent Kaahumanu(Wife of Kamehameha I), who with the blessing of Kamehameha II in 1819(before the missionaries arrived), declared an end to pagan worship, and ordered all idols to be destroyed. Down tumbled the idols, and the mythological gods said nothing. While mythological stories and deities played a role in the now very distant past, just as they did once in the Greek civilization, they are just that, myth. These figures were a design of local priests in order to gain control of local populations and status within the hierarchy. King Kamehameha III was so interested in learning and education that by 1850 there were over 500 schools across the islands(all taught in Hawaiian language), and made Hawaii known as the third most literate country on earth(only behind Scotland, and New England). All the Kings would be very proud to know that their Big Island was the center of the world's science and astrological study. They would have surely given their blessing, and greatly appreciated that the whole earth would use a small portion of Mauna Kea to give to the world what the world once gave his people, the ability to learn.
on October 19,2013 | 08:10AM
DiverDave wrote:
Pua Case says, "I pray that one day we will consider all development on our island as our ancient peoples did, with the utmost care and thought to the true impact upon the sky, the land , and the sea and ultimate health of all people". The Polynesian peoples did nothing of the sort! Ever wonder why there are no sea birds on the Big Island Pua? All their eggs were stolen from their nests and eaten. How about the huge Sandalwood forests that existed on the island before Kamehameha I ordered them to be cut down in order to trade the wood to China.(This is what contributed to the watershed runoff problem above Kohala). Ever heard of the Mamo Bird? That's the bird that was killed to extinction to make the Kamehameha cloaks. As many as 400 thousand feathers were needed to make one, and each bird contained just two. The last Mamo was seen in the 1800s. Pigs and dogs were brought to the islands by the Polynesians, and later cattle was allowed to be brought causing even more devastation to the forests and animals and birds living in them. Humans are humans, the Polynesians were no less or more human than any other native of this Planet Earth.The Environmental Impact Study was done and it was found to have little if any impact on the surrounding area. But, it really isn't about any of that is it Pua? You wear the mask of religion, and culture, and now conservation, yet behind your mask it's really all about political control, isn't it? Pua and her ilk believe that all decisions in Hawaii should be raced based, (making them what?). The believe Polynesian-Hawaiians should have the last word on everything that goes on, when Hawaii belongs to all the peoples of this Great State. l
on October 19,2013 | 08:55AM
DiverDave wrote:
For those who may not know Pua Case is a party to the never ending lawsuit, that just goes around and around in circles, against the TMT, and is one of the leaders of the parade of the obstructionists wing of the sovereignty silly fringe folks.
on October 19,2013 | 09:03AM
holokanaka wrote:
"this Great State." I assume you mean state of of america. show me an annexation treaty joker or any legal procedure by which these Islands became part of america.
on October 19,2013 | 08:09PM
DiverDave wrote:
You must be related to Pua Case, holokanaka. You just continually go around and around in circles about the dead past.
on October 20,2013 | 02:16AM
holokanaka wrote:
you have not responded to my comment joker.
on October 20,2013 | 07:25AM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
Holokukae, I'll give you the same answer I've given before, even though you seem not to pay attention:

"Treaty of Annexation between the Republic of Hawaii and the United States of America (1898). Full text of the treaty, and of the resolutions whereby the Republic of Hawaii legislature and the U.S. Congress ratified it. The politics surrounding the treaty, then and now."
http://www.angelfire.com/big09a/TreatyOfAnnexationHawaiiUS.html

Hawaii offered the Treaty and the U.S. accepted it. You might not like the fact that the U.S. used a joint resolution to accept the Treaty. But the method any nation uses to ratify a Treaty is up to that nation alone to decide for itself, it is not up to you and not up to any other nation.


on October 20,2013 | 08:27AM
holokanaka wrote:
well konki if you want to really make an impact about the existence of your..."annexation treaty"... other then feed lies to the people of these Islands who are ignorant of the true legal history here, you need to present your argument to the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague, the United Nations Security Council, the United Nations General Assembly, the International Criminal Court, the International Court of Justice and the us justice department because non of these organization has ever seen or even acknowledged a treaty and in fact "DENIES" such a .."treaty" exists. you are the only one. and by the way konki the us constitution does no give america the choice of "method" to "ratify a Treaty". that method is clearly given in the us constitution and supporting legal cites. so konki cut it out already with your warped blog/biased opinion on the true "legal" history of these Islands.
on October 20,2013 | 01:58PM
DiverDave wrote:
Yes Dr. Conklin, there was an offer by Polynesian-Hawaiian dominated Republic of Hawaii government, and an acceptance from the United States House and Senate, and then signed by the US. President. The resolution (the same way Obamacare was passed) actually passed the Senate by exactly two thirds majority 43-21, in keeping with the U.S. Constitution requiring al treaties to be ratified by a 2/3rds majority in the Senate. The House vote was far more than a two-thirds majority, but their vote was a moot subject once the Senate vote was totaled. Of course you know this better than I do Dr. Conklin. I was not going to respond to "holokanaka" because of his name calling ("joker") and his as usual off topic question. Holokanaka's rudder must be broken because he just goes around and around in circles. Always asking the same question. Probably that's what the sovereignty silly fringe handbook tells him to do. LOL
on October 20,2013 | 02:13PM
holokanaka wrote:
eh dumbo joker obama care was passed by a joint resolution (domestic law) which is restricted to america borders. can obama care be enforced in China? duuuh if you want to look like an idi*t you go with konki and present this ANNEXATION TREATY to the organization I have mentioned.
on October 20,2013 | 02:32PM
DiverDave wrote:
Two thirds approval by the Senate. What part of Constitutional don't you understand, holokanaka, the name caller?
on October 20,2013 | 08:13PM
holokanaka wrote:
was that..."Two thirds approval by the senate"... an "annexation treaty" or a "joint resolution"? do you joker even understand the difference between "domestic law" and "International Law"?
on October 21,2013 | 07:23AM
DiverDave wrote:
David Sai already tried to take your nonsense to international court and was dismissed. You're soo silly! LOL You sovereignty guys are just too funny. First you say that Hawaii is not part of the United States, and then you try and use the U.S. Constitution to make a point. This was a treaty approved by 2/3rds majority vote of the Senate, and signed by the President. The Polynesian-Hawaiian dominated Republic of Hawaii government was very happy that their offer was accepted at the time. The first two representatives from Hawaii to the U.S. Congress were Polynesians, Robert Wilcox, and Prince Kuhio (who was a Rep. until his tragic death by a heart attack in 1922). You sovereignty fringers are so arrogant that you think you can tell the folks that lived in Hawaii in 1900 what they should have wanted, when all their words and actions prove they embraced Democracy and becoming part of the Greatest Nation on Earth, The United States of America!
on October 21,2013 | 01:31PM
holokanaka wrote:
"David Sai already tried to take your nonsense to international court and was dismissed". show me the evidence showing your statement to be true joker and that you are not a liar.
on October 21,2013 | 02:26PM
DiverDave wrote:
Holokanaka just goes around and around in circles. First you imply there was no treaty "show me a treaty", then you don't like the way it was passed and accepted. Just like a spinning top. Around and around and around and around. LOL
on October 22,2013 | 06:54AM
holokanaka wrote:
joker, you again did not respond to my comment. so are you a liar? I will ask again... show me the evidence showing your statement to be true and that you are not a liar!!!
on October 22,2013 | 07:28AM
DiverDave wrote:
Now it's on to a new subject for holokanaka, the "name caller". LOL. Put the sovereignty fringe handbook down holokanaka and stay on topic for once. There will be plenty of time in the future for your ridiculous sovereignty fringe talking points, that are always proven to be false, as I and Dr. Conklin did with your "show me a treaty" nonsense above. So, what do you think about the TMT on Mauna Kea? You know, the topic of today's editorial above.
on October 22,2013 | 01:50PM
holokanaka wrote:
joker you asserted that..."David Sai already tried to take your nonsense to international court and was dismissed". I "requested you show me the evidence showing your statement to be true". you have not responded with any supporting evidence to support your assertion. therefore your responses confirms to me that you are liar and a typical arrogant ha*le.
on October 22,2013 | 02:08PM
holokanaka wrote:
oh I forgot joker to address..."your ridiculous sovereignty fringe talking points, that are proven to be 'false', as I and Dr Conklin did with your...nonsense.." question joker in regards to the annexation treaty: who's conclusion would any sane and practical person agree with, two bloggers (konki and joker) in a local newspaper in Honolulu, Hawaii or the conclusions of the people educated in the law (attorneys in the u.s. justice department? really joker whose conclusion would you honestly agree with?
on October 22,2013 | 09:17PM
DiverDave wrote:
holokanaka, So, what do you think about the TMT on Mauna Kea? You know, the topic of today's editorial above.
on October 22,2013 | 10:54PM
holokanaka wrote:
very weak, very,very weak response joker. you loose. your and your friend (konki) claim of a legally ratified annexation treaty is a total lie!!!!
on October 23,2013 | 07:27AM
DiverDave wrote:
holokanaka, So, what do you think about the TMT on Mauna Kea? You know, the topic of today's editorial above.
on October 24,2013 | 12:00AM
DiverDave wrote:
Pua Case, one of the loudest against the TMT on Mauna Kea says, "I pray that one day we will consider all development on "our" island as our ancient peoples did, with the utmost care and thought to the true impact upon the sky, the land , and the sea and ultimate health of all people". The Polynesian peoples did nothing of the sort! Ever wonder why there are no sea birds on the Big Island Pua? All their eggs were stolen from their nests and eaten. How about the huge Sandalwood forests that existed on the island before Kamehameha I ordered them to be cut down in order to trade the wood to China.(This is what contributed to the watershed runoff problem above Kohala). Ever heard of the Mamo Bird? That's the bird that was killed to extinction to make the Kamehameha cloaks. As many as 400 thousand feathers were needed to make one, and each bird contained just two. The last Mamo was seen in the 1800s. Pigs and dogs were brought to the islands by the Polynesians, and later cattle was allowed to be introduced causing even more devastation to the forests, animals and birds living in them. Humans are humans, the Polynesians were no less or more human than any other native of this Planet Earth. The Mauna Kea Environmental Impact Study was done and it was found to have little if any impact on the surrounding area. But, it really isn't about any of that is it Pua? Pua and other objectors against the TMT wear the mask of religion, and culture, and now conservation, yet behind their masks it's really all about political control, isn't it? Pua and company believe that all decisions in Hawaii should be raced based, and that Polynesian-Hawaiians should have the last word on everything that goes on,(making them what?) when Hawaii belongs to all the peoples of this Great State.
on October 19,2013 | 08:51AM
DiverDave wrote:
Sorry for the double entry. My first was sent for approval and then showed up later? Oh well.
on October 19,2013 | 09:26AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates
Blogs
Political Radar
HB 1700 — Day 1

Hoops Talk
Aloha Shamburger

Political Radar
Stacked

Political Radar
HFFA

Warrior Beat
All’s fair

Political Radar
Apology

Political Radar
SD 23